Algraphone Algrette - Seymour Machine ?

All the machines NOT Covered above ie : Continental, Unbranded, Small firms & Any Portable machines (other than By HMV)
Gmemg
Site Admin

Algraphone Algrette - Seymour Machine ?

Post by Gmemg » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:30 pm

I've seen several Algraphones - the Rococo one i bought some years ago was magnificent (they even did a chinoiserie version of that which was grotesque ) and two others - one in Christie's where it didn't make much as it was a giant machine and another one recently which was cheap but being nearly 8ft long and mostly record cabinet with very modest horn i just couldn't do anything with it and i doubt it will sell when the owner puts that into auction !

I did ,however buy a smaller Algraphone from ebay recently (it was really cheap with terrible photos ) i've had one before of the same type but plain Mahagany and this one , when collected turned out to be inlaid satinwood and very nice indeed ! but being a smaller model they are called "Algrettes" but follow the same principles as the large models with a Sonat Soundbox, "gramolith" Tonearm - just black sprayed Brass, Very simple thin plywood horn and the algraphone drawer - front "diffusor"

The Horn arrangement & deflected sound is such a typical Henry Seymour idea and there's no doubt of his influence in the design even if he didn't actually design it himself - this is a small machine but the sound is most certainly not small and far above anything i was expecting in volume & quality

Here's the machine Just after it was delivered - it was complete but did have a detached spring

inside the Lid - note the Massive Hinges used on all Algraphone machines

The Centre of the turntable - marked "graham" the makers of the Algraphone

The speed Control gives instructions to "Lift off turntable to oil Motor"

The Tonearm base - mounte don a cast block of rubber which connects tot he top of the Horn - here distorted but still usable

The Motor Mountings - the larger ones have a cast plate with Algraphone cast in

The Trademarks

The "diffusor" Drawer Front with angles reflector behind

The motor - unique to Algraphones but with distinctly garrard overtones !

The Side - the springs are held outside of the box meaning you just undo a grub screw and remove the central bar and then unlock both springs, so easy

The winder side showing the casting

A very odd feature - the governors are open with a "Wick" oiler - something only seen on later Garrard triple spring motors for columbia

The Horn - primitive, thinly made but very effective - also showing the rails for the drawer fronts

and a Video of it in action

https://youtu.be/fJrX8CIUj4Q
Estott : "An Ancient Half - Mad Uncle "

My U - Tube Channel is : http://www.youtube.com/user/EMGColonel

Corruption in the CLPGS :
The Seven Social Sins are:
Wealth without work. Pleasure without conscience. Knowledge without character .Commerce without morality. Science without humanity. Worship without sacrifice. Politics without principle.

Money. Greed. Naivety. Falsehoods. Exploitation. Welcome to the wonderful world of gramophones!

"He has as much comedic talent as the Straight man on a Linguaphone record "
Si vis pacem, para bellum Der Morgige Tag Ist Mein

donjohnson24

Re: Algraphone Algrette - Seymour Machine ?

Post by donjohnson24 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:53 pm

Colonel, your link is to a picture, NOT a video!

Gmemg
Site Admin

Re: Algraphone Algrette - Seymour Machine ?

Post by Gmemg » Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:23 pm

Whoops - you're quite right - i'm glad someone's paying attention !
Estott : "An Ancient Half - Mad Uncle "

My U - Tube Channel is : http://www.youtube.com/user/EMGColonel

Corruption in the CLPGS :
The Seven Social Sins are:
Wealth without work. Pleasure without conscience. Knowledge without character .Commerce without morality. Science without humanity. Worship without sacrifice. Politics without principle.

Money. Greed. Naivety. Falsehoods. Exploitation. Welcome to the wonderful world of gramophones!

"He has as much comedic talent as the Straight man on a Linguaphone record "
Si vis pacem, para bellum Der Morgige Tag Ist Mein

Return to “Other Machines & Portables”