"Escritone" Unsaleable Bureau or Unsaleable Gram ?

All the machines NOT Covered above ie : Continental, Unbranded, Small firms & Any Portable machines (other than By HMV)
Gmemg
Site Admin

"Escritone" Unsaleable Bureau or Unsaleable Gram ?

Post by Gmemg » Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:18 pm

There are some odd gramophones about, some disguised as Pianos (Only the Columbia one is worth getting) some hidden in sideboards but this one the "Escritone" is hidden within a Bureau and actually hasa cover for the turntable so you can use it as a bureau without the offence of seeing the gramophone !

Very odd but £3500 Is ti worth that ? more lit £350 - £500 IF you could find someone to buy it

the vendor has other expensive machines as well !

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wind-Up-Gramo ... 33943261ff
Estott : "An Ancient Half - Mad Uncle "

My U - Tube Channel is : http://www.youtube.com/user/EMGColonel

Corruption in the CLPGS :
The Seven Social Sins are:
Wealth without work. Pleasure without conscience. Knowledge without character .Commerce without morality. Science without humanity. Worship without sacrifice. Politics without principle.

Money. Greed. Naivety. Falsehoods. Exploitation. Welcome to the wonderful world of gramophones!

"He has as much comedic talent as the Straight man on a Linguaphone record "
Si vis pacem, para bellum Der Morgige Tag Ist Mein

Gmemg
Site Admin

Re: "Escritone" Unsaleable Bureau or Unsaleable Gram ?

The Bureau is an interesting novelty that 20 years ago would have had a sad CLPGS twit salivating - especially if it came with a "tale of the Unexpected" from the "leading Dealer" anyone else remember that appalling cabinet machine with the "bead Curtain" in front of the Horn "Yis, Yis, Yis, I've set my heart on £1200 for it ..................." as they say in reputable newspapers "I made my excuses and left " is that now next to the derelict William & Mary Console & Veneer curled Electric 511 under the leak in the Storage garage |?

The Expert is in good condition and with it's soundbox - i suppose £2500 but others have been sold recently for less so who knows but again a few years ago the "Guru" would have sold it for more especially with a Bogus "Provenance" of being either "tuned by Humphrey Davey" or "from the home of W H Squire" or of being "the best I've ever seen" in which case it's worth the same as an Expert Senior - isn't there a law against ripping off people for over £2,000...............I'd better consult the Police about that - and what about Growing Cannabis ?

Wealth without work. Pleasure without conscience. Knowledge without character .Commerce without morality. Science without humanity. Worship without sacrifice. Politics without principle.

Money. Greed. Naivety. Falsehoods. Exploitation. Welcome to the wonderful world of gramophones!

Gmemg
Site Admin

Re: "Escritone" Unsaleable Bureau or Unsaleable Gram ?

Not in the past - in fact, quite the opposite, a Good Friend of mine's Grandparents , the last "Squire" of Wigginton (nr Tring) ran a sort of Guest House/ Tea rooms at their House "the Orchards"(many famous Guests stayed including Arthur Askey & his Daughter & John McCormack ) where they also sold "antiques" and their motto was :

"if something doesn't sell, Put the price UP"

This is a sort of Psychological trick - many people then thought that " if something's "cheap" it must have something wrong with it " and "if something costs a lot of money then it MUST be of interest and "Exclusive" so that they're motto proved true many times

That sort of thing worked in the past as did putting a "provenance " usually Bogus or truth stretched such as "it came from a Country House collection" - (a run down slum cottage in the country) or It belonged to on an important person - "old Dealers" Such as "The Guru "are experts at it as who can challenge an "authority " ? (Or dares to )

Now, with Ebay and "the Saleroom" and closer connections between collectors i'm not sure it does work as EMGs and Experts and most sorts of G & T Machines seem to be like Buses - they'll be another along in a minute so why pay too much as a better one maybe, and often is, found soon after

sadly for Dealers it's all too true !

Return to “Other Machines & Portables”