"Three Muses (non) Repeating Gramophone"

All the machines NOT Covered above ie : Continental, Unbranded, Small firms & Any Portable machines (other than By HMV)
Gmemg
Site Admin

"Three Muses (non) Repeating Gramophone"

Post by Gmemg » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:10 pm

Some weeks ago i noticed that this machine was coming up for auction - the pictures weren't great but the description was puzzling - "sloping Front" came into it somewhere but i couldn't imagine what this machine really was or indeed how big or otherwise BUT it did say "model Z3" now, i couldn't understand this as a model no plate wasn't visible in the photos and Auctioneers don't usually "know" these things about HMV machines let alone a company of which very little is known apart from the address so, i thought "How did THEY know" an internet search brought up nothing so i was even more puzzled - but where was the phrase "Repeating Gramophone" and why wasn't the repeater mentioned - had it been removed ? even from the trademark ?

i had seen only one type of "three Muses" gramophone and have owned 3 (how odd !) two were incomplete and one most certainly didn't appear ever to have been fitted with the repeating device as the metal parts were unfinished, the other had had the battery and metal repeating parts removed but both worked well as ordinary gramophones, The third was complete with original battery - only accessed by a panel under the machine and had all the working parts including the electro - magnets but alas i never made it work but it did have the extraordinary record stand and revolving turntable the machine sat upon - it is said that a few were completed & sold retail before the closure of the firm or given to the "grand " Shareholders the rest made up by whomever bought up the stock

So i decided to buy this one - it appeared complete with handle & soundbox and for a large sum (but much less than i was prepared to pay) i bought it and due to the kindness of a friend it was delivered to the "Preceptory" a week later - he had said :

"I'll put the handle, soundbox & paperwork in the horn"

By "paperwork" i assumed he meant the Invoice so when he arrived with it i didn't bother to ask he had to rush off to another appointment so i opened the box and found this machine - a LOT smaller than i thought AND looking like a "knife Box" as in the Georgian Knife boxes with sloping fronts found in pairs in Most "Classical" Dining rooms (and much turned into stationary boxes by the Victorians) this was no co - incidence and a clue to where it was intended to be used

The "handles" on the sides are so flimsy that even this light machine cannot be carried by them - they are there PURELY for decoration as not only are the flimsy they're in the wrong place as well - they get in the way of the handle - or are placed to disguise the handle ?

i looked for the soundbox & handle and something fell out with them - not an Invoice or receipt BUT a Catalogue - as far as i know the only one ever found, i asked Roger Thorne about 3 Muses years ago and he couldn't tell me anything apart from the "Grand" shareholders including the Royal Family, the Company's address and the dates of a few adverts , the odd thing is that this machine has the "feel" of Vesper about it and i suppose "Three Muses", however grand it's patronage may have had "vesper" make the cabinets although some Vesper Cabinets were made by the best "Waring & Gillow" so who knows !

Here is the machine - Yes it is VERY Shiny !

the front of the machine - i assume designed to set on the end of a Georgian Sideboard ?

the side showing the sloping front

The "escutcheon" one of the flimsy handles

The Machine open - showing the ugly tonearm all solid Aluminium

The Trademarks "three Muses" made by "Repeating Gramophones Ltd" the Catalogue has only 3 models with the repeating mechanism the rest were never built with it !

The Tonearm and soundbox - the soundbox is occasionally encountered but this tonearm is ridiculously massive and bulbous, i thought the gooseneck had been reversed BUT NO it is supposed to be like that !

The Soundbox - "Tremusa" is almost 1" thick and made from 3 plates of metal and one apparently of Bakelite - they are reputed to use a double diapragm but the only one i have attempted to restor was full of green wax ? when opened so i didn;t delve any further and put it back together !

The Soundbox and catalogue

Estott : "An Ancient Half - Mad Uncle "

My U - Tube Channel is : http://www.youtube.com/user/EMGColonel

Corruption in the CLPGS :
The Seven Social Sins are:
Wealth without work. Pleasure without conscience. Knowledge without character .Commerce without morality. Science without humanity. Worship without sacrifice. Politics without principle.

Money. Greed. Naivety. Falsehoods. Exploitation. Welcome to the wonderful world of gramophones!

"He has as much comedic talent as the Straight man on a Linguaphone record "
Si vis pacem, para bellum Der Morgige Tag Ist Mein

Return to “Other Machines & Portables”