The "Symphona - Kestraphone" 1921 - 1924

All the machines NOT Covered above ie : Continental, Unbranded, Small firms & Any Portable machines (other than By HMV)
Gmemg
Site Admin

The "Symphona - Kestraphone" 1921 - 1924

Post by Gmemg » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:07 pm

It's odd but sometimes rare - and i don't necessarily mean Valuable - machines turn up on ebay like buses - one after another, sometimes they just pass through but at other times they do rather well !

One such was the tabletop Kestraphone which turned up on Ebay last week - it made, wait for it ! £ 316 which for a fairly dull tabletop machine was a lot of money and a few years ago an unthinkable amount BUT nowadays the "chunnsori Museum" Hongkong, Southall & Peckham Ltd seems to be interested in buying the offbeat - and here there should be a qualification again the offbeat doesn't mean the best or the even quality but sometimes just the different

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kestraphone-T ... true&rt=nc

I tried to find out something about Kestraphone and consulted the books (nothing) the Sales (Nothing of use ) and then tried to consult the Roger Thorne archive - that wasn't easy as some twit (me) after buying more records than he had space for had built a wall of 78's 10ft high across the front of the filing cabinets "temporarily" well, a year and a New roof later i cleared a way through the shelves and found ..................a little but that was of some interest !

it seems the "kestraphone" started life as the " Symphona" with some sort of Wholesaler -they produced some adverts in the Trade press in October 1921

then a newspaper review of the "Kestraphone" in March 1922

Then a New Owner in Bournemouth appears in Jan 1923

it then turns up at a "Special Press Demonstration" in July 1923

"Demand still growing" in Sept 1923

and the final advert in March 1924 - A "Kestraphone Scratchless osundbox" for all Gramophones and with an oddly reversed Diaphragm

Estott : "An Ancient Half - Mad Uncle "

My U - Tube Channel is : http://www.youtube.com/user/EMGColonel

Corruption in the CLPGS :
The Seven Social Sins are:
Wealth without work. Pleasure without conscience. Knowledge without character .Commerce without morality. Science without humanity. Worship without sacrifice. Politics without principle.

Money. Greed. Naivety. Falsehoods. Exploitation. Welcome to the wonderful world of gramophones!

"He has as much comedic talent as the Straight man on a Linguaphone record "
Si vis pacem, para bellum Der Morgige Tag Ist Mein

Return to “Other Machines & Portables”