Beltona "Improved" Ever Ready Portable 1915

All the machines NOT Covered above ie : Continental, Unbranded, Small firms & Any Portable machines (other than By HMV)
Gmemg
Site Admin

Beltona "Improved" Ever Ready Portable 1915

Post by Gmemg » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:06 pm

This was a machine i bought some years ago - i have been ;looking for it for some time and to - day found it under a table !

This is a really interesting portable gramophone, i first saw one of these when "the Squire" Bought one at one of the Big Antiques fairs, he didn;t pay a fortune for it and when i saw it i fell in love with it - it;s such a Pre - historic design BUT has everything ! that machine had rails inside which i assumed were for a record box - a rare thing for early machines to have the room for records and something of a problem which was only solved convincingly by the HMV model 100/101

some call these Oak machines "colonial" and they may indeed be as this is very sturdy and almost indestructable, they did make a larger model with 12" turntable, i cannot imagine what it would be like to carry this full of records but it's heavy without and a 12" version full would be rathe rlike the HMV Transportable

This machine is Oak with a wonderful golden varnish which, in this example is in super condition

here's the outside - wonderful golden Oak

here;'s the machine open - showing the strange writing box like style of the case and the record tray concealing the turntable

the base of the record tray has this label with the machine's name :

when the record tray is removed the turntable and the strange Tonarm/Flare is revealed - the sound just echoes from the inside of th ecase

the tonearm just pivots out and is very lightweight - probably lighter than a whole Meltrope soundbox !

The Soundbox - "Beltona - Tournaphone London & Melbourne " with Exhibition- Like soundbox springs

On the side - utilising the space behind the motor is the accessories drawer - for needle tins, the handle, othe rbits ! the underside of the motorboard provides a lid so that when carried the items don;t fall out

When checking the motor i found a spare spring - unused in the gap between the back of the drawer and the case - there since new !

and the motor - Swiss made and one of thos which could have a second spring but doesn't - the Beltona trademark is stamped in

Estott : "An Ancient Half - Mad Uncle "

My U - Tube Channel is : http://www.youtube.com/user/EMGColonel

Corruption in the CLPGS :
The Seven Social Sins are:
Wealth without work. Pleasure without conscience. Knowledge without character .Commerce without morality. Science without humanity. Worship without sacrifice. Politics without principle.

Money. Greed. Naivety. Falsehoods. Exploitation. Welcome to the wonderful world of gramophones!

"He has as much comedic talent as the Straight man on a Linguaphone record "
Si vis pacem, para bellum Der Morgige Tag Ist Mein

Return to “Other Machines & Portables”