Leather covered Columbia No 10a Portable - no 11?

All the machines NOT Covered above ie : Continental, Unbranded, Small firms & Any Portable machines (other than By HMV)
Gmemg
Site Admin

Leather covered Columbia No 10a Portable - no 11?

Post by Gmemg » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:02 pm

I very rarely buy from Ebay now it's often just full of rubbish & dealer's discards and yet is so expensive ! - i have more and better opportunities , but when i saw the machine below i thought it worth a second look and as it was a "buy it now" i bought it "

When looking at a machine you haven't seen before and may be considering purchasing a good look is rather important - not difficult when the machine is at some Antiques fair or shop where the item can be handled and appraised but on ebay you have to decide from a few pictures - chosen & taken by someone else - namely the Vendor (UK dealers seem to make an Art of taking photos missing the damaged side of any machine !)

This machine had some decent photos and from them i saw that this was - as far as model is concerned a Columbia Model 10a of C 1926 BUT it was BROWN rather than the normal BLACK - this was odd as i have seen about a dozen of the model 10a's and the slightly larger & later Model 110's and they were all black - but this was brown why ? i had a look and saw that not only the case was brown but the handle AND most importantly the interior with the Columbia transfer - but was it Brown rexine or brown leather - since the interior was covered than it must be made by Columbia rather than some sort of later , custom made -covering but which model could it be ? the later Cowhide leather model was the 111a and that, as far as i knew was the first that Columbia had offered - it had a replacement soundbox but that isn't the end of the world !

I bought it - not cheap and from Italy

it arrived and was not only completely original and genuine but also Leather covered - the Leather is VERY thin and took a lot of hide food to make it supple but which model is it ?

Here's the machine as it arrived :

and the outside - as you can see inscribed with the usual "Columbia" panels

The side with the folding winding handle, the leather covered carrying handle and the needle pot with cover int eh lid - something the 10a doesn't have BUT the 110 does

The motorboard removed showing the typical model 10 & 10A Horn - pivoted at the front and lowered & Raised from the back by the lid

The Motor - Garrard Made for Columbia set at an angle to fit in the gap left around the horn

This machine with the Columbia model 10 (With covered Aluminium Lid) and the 111a only available as a Leather covered machine

SO which machine is it ?

It's slightly larger than the model 10 and is almost exactly like a model 10A but is leather covered and so must have been a "de Luxe" model so could it be a model 11 or 11a perhaps ?
Estott : "An Ancient Half - Mad Uncle "

My U - Tube Channel is : http://www.youtube.com/user/EMGColonel

Corruption in the CLPGS :
The Seven Social Sins are:
Wealth without work. Pleasure without conscience. Knowledge without character .Commerce without morality. Science without humanity. Worship without sacrifice. Politics without principle.

Money. Greed. Naivety. Falsehoods. Exploitation. Welcome to the wonderful world of gramophones!

"He has as much comedic talent as the Straight man on a Linguaphone record "
Si vis pacem, para bellum Der Morgige Tag Ist Mein

Return to “Other Machines & Portables”