Columbia 100 "Cadet" Portable

All the machines NOT Covered above ie : Continental, Unbranded, Small firms & Any Portable machines (other than By HMV)
Gmemg
Site Admin

Columbia 100 "Cadet" Portable

Post by Gmemg » Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:55 pm

I found this amongst a lot of tatty portable sin a damp cellar last year - i didn't think it worth saving so it went to the dump with the ther ones beyond repair - as i was taking it out i checked to see if i had retrieved the soundbox and then noticed the tonearm base (Pot - metal) was intact and so kept it ALL the others of this model i have seen had smashed or replaced tonearm bases (Barry Williamson Had a batch of bases made in the 1980's)

I brought it back and it dried out with only slight rusting - the case is made of metal and very durable and is covered with typical Columbia Rexine, it has a Viva tonal tonearm which goes into a conduit and real horn -n not just through a hole in the motorboard, i assume it had a single spring motor but haven't found out yet

I haven't seen many of these as most "serious" Collectors cannot be bothered with them and leave them to (as one collector called them ) "The Little Men, the bores"

I think these machines are rather fun and whilst not a 203 in terms of sound quality aren't bad

Here it is (seen on my neighbour's 1975 B & D Workmate , apparently he collects them ! )

The machine open

The model No :

The tonearm base - Pot metal and easily cracked or shattered by a knock to the tonearm or case

The tonearm folds back neatly

The back of the soundbox - again Pot metal

An Advert stuck to one of the record sleeves which i found in the same home

Estott : "An Ancient Half - Mad Uncle "

My U - Tube Channel is : http://www.youtube.com/user/EMGColonel

Corruption in the CLPGS :
The Seven Social Sins are:
Wealth without work. Pleasure without conscience. Knowledge without character .Commerce without morality. Science without humanity. Worship without sacrifice. Politics without principle.

Money. Greed. Naivety. Falsehoods. Exploitation. Welcome to the wonderful world of gramophones!

"He has as much comedic talent as the Straight man on a Linguaphone record "
Si vis pacem, para bellum Der Morgige Tag Ist Mein

Return to “Other Machines & Portables”