the "oranola" Double soundbox Duophone Lookalike

All the machines NOT Covered above ie : Continental, Unbranded, Small firms & Any Portable machines (other than By HMV)
Gmemg
Site Admin

the "oranola" Double soundbox Duophone Lookalike

Post by Gmemg » Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:54 pm

I'm sure we're all familiar with the Duophone - a machine which uses a tonearm with a double soundbox supposedly to separate Bass sound from Treble - but curiously all the sound goes down into one horn through one hole ?

in the 1980's the Dealers were selling them for a LOT of money, in fact one "Dealer" bought a tabletop version at the Fabled "Don Watson" sale for Over £300 - one of the top prices of the day , did he make a profit ? well, probably but the Proceeds of the Ring operating that day would have helped cushion any loss !

It wasn't a New idea as German machines had used the same idea before - i can't say i'm very impressed with them as they sound just like any other machine fo the period - Duophone did make the Soundbox/Tonearm as an accessory and so i have tried them on HMV and Columbia machines but records didn't sound as good as with the original arrangement !

So the double soundbox was some sort of Novelty device to sell otherwise dull machines - BUT it wasn't the Only British firm to use them - this advert from The Roger Thorne Archive shows another dated 1920, pre - dating Duophone - i suppose it's possible Duophone bought "Bailey's Concertophone" out ? But at least the Oranola (Sounds like a French Fizzy Drink ) at least had some style - even if the one pictured did conceal itself in a reproduction "Sheraton" ladies' Work Table

was it "the world's Best Sounding Instrument" ? I doubt it and i've never seen one - maybe the "antiques Trade" have converted them to "real" sheraton Work Tables

Estott : "An Ancient Half - Mad Uncle "

My U - Tube Channel is : http://www.youtube.com/user/EMGColonel

Corruption in the CLPGS :
The Seven Social Sins are:
Wealth without work. Pleasure without conscience. Knowledge without character .Commerce without morality. Science without humanity. Worship without sacrifice. Politics without principle.

Money. Greed. Naivety. Falsehoods. Exploitation. Welcome to the wonderful world of gramophones!

"He has as much comedic talent as the Straight man on a Linguaphone record "
Si vis pacem, para bellum Der Morgige Tag Ist Mein

Return to “Other Machines & Portables”