The Compactophone Portable 1914 ?

All the machines NOT Covered above ie : Continental, Unbranded, Small firms & Any Portable machines (other than By HMV)
Gmemg
Site Admin

The Compactophone Portable 1914 ?

Post by Gmemg » Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:48 pm

Compactophone Portables are fairly well known - small, distinguished, unobtrusive Oak cased and other than the transfer rather dull ! I had never paid them much attention really until a machine like this appeared on ebay - it made more than i would have paid so i was somewhat surprised to see this one from the SAME Vendor appear i bought it for £75 and wondered what on earth i'd done in buying something that MUST have been made up ! the first had no trademark whilst this one has the glorious one shown

when it arrived it was obviously Genuine - the Vendor told me She had had both for years and that they'd been bought by 2 brothers - from the same shop Pre Great War, the odd thing is that the patents shown here are for the 1914 Sterno Compactophone and not this one !

Is this design - obviously Swiss in origin as it has the " Nirona " reflector (giant size) Pre - The Sterno Compactophone or Post 1919 ?

Here it si from the outside - there is a record compartment under the motor

The Machine open showing the reflector & toenarm ready for use

The Reflector with Gilt decorated Stand

The Reflector Folded Away

The Trademark Showing the OTHER model but with a LION whilst the Oak version has a Bulldog standing by the machine all very odd !

The Patents

The strange "bent Coathangar" that "locks" the record compartment when the lid is closed

Estott : "An Ancient Half - Mad Uncle "

My U - Tube Channel is : http://www.youtube.com/user/EMGColonel

Corruption in the CLPGS :
The Seven Social Sins are:
Wealth without work. Pleasure without conscience. Knowledge without character .Commerce without morality. Science without humanity. Worship without sacrifice. Politics without principle.

Money. Greed. Naivety. Falsehoods. Exploitation. Welcome to the wonderful world of gramophones!

"He has as much comedic talent as the Straight man on a Linguaphone record "
Si vis pacem, para bellum Der Morgige Tag Ist Mein

Return to “Other Machines & Portables”