Chinoiserie Gramophone But who made it ?

All the machines NOT Covered above ie : Continental, Unbranded, Small firms & Any Portable machines (other than By HMV)
Gmemg
Site Admin

Chinoiserie Gramophone But who made it ?

Post by Gmemg » Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:09 pm

This is an illustration from a Very rare Catalogue - indeed it may be the only one in existence, a grand firm, short lived but supplying the Grandest people !

Can you guess who made it ?

The strange thing is that i'm not certain if any were made and this is just an illustration - also the wording is odd in the Catalogue in that they state their fittings can be used in any cabinet supplied so was this actually a gramophone cabinet made to hold a machine or just a chinoiserie cabinet which COULD be adapted if you wished ?

The proportions seem wrong for a gramophone, it stands on what appear to be extended legs and where do you play records ? does the whole top hinged back - it would make it rather a nuisance and very vulnerable to damage or was the gramophone in the top and the lower section just for records ? - sadly no size is given but if it was made then it's a close second to the Aeolian - Vocalion !

Estott : "An Ancient Half - Mad Uncle "

My U - Tube Channel is : http://www.youtube.com/user/EMGColonel

Corruption in the CLPGS :
The Seven Social Sins are:
Wealth without work. Pleasure without conscience. Knowledge without character .Commerce without morality. Science without humanity. Worship without sacrifice. Politics without principle.

Money. Greed. Naivety. Falsehoods. Exploitation. Welcome to the wonderful world of gramophones!

"He has as much comedic talent as the Straight man on a Linguaphone record "
Si vis pacem, para bellum Der Morgige Tag Ist Mein

Gmemg
Site Admin

Re: Chinoiserie Gramophone But who made it ?

Post by Gmemg » Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:11 pm

I think it can be safely said that most companies "had a go" at making such models - or rather decorating their usual models however poor quality they might have been

This is more unusual as it couldn't be anything other than a Chinoiserie model and was made by one of the most obscure Companies who had an interest in supplying those who wanted a Gramophone but wanted it to fit in - these machines use a unique soundbox - so unique i have never been able to discover how they can be re - built it's actually Tremusa !
Estott : "An Ancient Half - Mad Uncle "

My U - Tube Channel is : http://www.youtube.com/user/EMGColonel

Corruption in the CLPGS :
The Seven Social Sins are:
Wealth without work. Pleasure without conscience. Knowledge without character .Commerce without morality. Science without humanity. Worship without sacrifice. Politics without principle.

Money. Greed. Naivety. Falsehoods. Exploitation. Welcome to the wonderful world of gramophones!

"He has as much comedic talent as the Straight man on a Linguaphone record "
Si vis pacem, para bellum Der Morgige Tag Ist Mein

Return to “Other Machines & Portables”