The Dalek-O-Phone a Fine if Odd Machine

All the machines NOT Covered above ie : Continental, Unbranded, Small firms & Any Portable machines (other than By HMV)
Gmemg
Site Admin

The Dalek-O-Phone a Fine if Odd Machine

Post by Gmemg » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:40 pm

This machine & its's big brother turned up in a West Country Auction in 2008 after the Death of their Creator (Herr Doktor Frannkenphone ? - ED) "The Squire" and i saw them in the Summer 2008 issue of "For the Cretins/Paedos" magazine at the time , we discussed them but hadn't seen them for sale and rather lamented to opportunity to view them .

Proudie was needless to say dismissive of both machines - the larger one which featured a XB horn fitted onto a Saxophone tube under the motorboard which was 6ft in the air ! that machine was weight driven and apparently when compared with a Mk 9 the Mk 9 "Ran Rings round it" this machine was the smaller and although it had a conventional Double spring motor it is most unusual !

This machine failed to sell in the Auction( (But sold after) the Larger one made £210 and sold to the "Leading Dealer" who according to "suicidal Steve" TMF admin :

"Just took the 2 spring EMG (Actually an Astra Variant) off and scrapped the rest "

Later he hinted that the EMG Guru had in fact sent the horn to Mrs P***L who recovered it and united with an original base it's now owned by someone who thinks it's a genuine XB horn !

This machine however survived as it was created and thus "the Squire " Bought it - i saw it in his home and was aghast - BUT as he pointed out to me it is a most unusual machine into which a LOT Of thought, experimentation & Genius went , we both doubt that the creator actually set out to make this machine BUT this is what he got in the end and IT WORKS !

Here it is :

It's an odd looking machine which works using a reflector principal rather like a Decca Portable machine, from the tabletop it's 34" to the top of the reflector

From the Side - the horn is made from Hardboard tiles, shaped and graduated in size bolted together it's 21" across the bell - it looks like a Dalek on it's side

the back is made from the same "tiles" Curved inside & out and held in place by the "fins" you see

The Tonearm is a "Novaphonic" Type which is long, exponential but only the front part pivots

The Soundbox is a concert sized Swiss model adapted by the Creator with a front mask of his own design as well as a Diaphragm made apparently from layered thick brown paper - this soundbox is crucial as it is MATCHED to the horn - "the Squire" and i tried many different types of box with this including a Meltrope but NONE could beat it - yes it's the first machine i've ever heard which was NOT improved by a Meltrope so i tried a 4 spring Expert soundbox and that also failed - it was at this point i realised that this machine is something Unique !

And here's why - I and no doubt others thought this was like an HMV 32 with a tube under the tonearm to the horn - and there is BUT it's not straight - the Tube is exponential it's whole length from under the soundbox to the reflector and goes right round the case - the acoustic length from the back of the soundbox to the reflector is 7 1/2 Ft long. I don't know what the tube is made from - it may be wooden but also might be bent hardboard - which is mind boggling !

The Tube comes up from under the motorboard and though the horn

It then curves into the reflector which is curved inside & out with a Diffusor on the inside

The Creator was so proud of what he'd done that he designed an Arm lock for the support so he could show the conduit

Conclusion - This is an astonishing sounding machine, alas due to a technical failure i can't show you the U - Tube video from the Last Witney gathering but can tell you it's sound is astonishing - the sound is very mellow and even with steel needles the Background noise is surpressed whilst the actual recording is unimpaired - BUT only with the soundbox it was made with NO other achieves the same sound

It's such a pity that it's larger brother fell into the hands of the ignorant Buffers of a Corrupt society who weren't interested in practical craftsmanship & intelligence and laughed at these

Dalek - O - Phone is not a fair name for it but i don't know who made it or when but they did know what they were doing

I shall either borrow this machine or make a U - Tube video soon to demonstrate this fine, if odd machine, despite my initial Horror i have to say I would have bought this had i known how well it sounds and what a creative Genius made it !
Estott : "An Ancient Half - Mad Uncle "

My U - Tube Channel is : http://www.youtube.com/user/EMGColonel

Corruption in the CLPGS :
The Seven Social Sins are:
Wealth without work. Pleasure without conscience. Knowledge without character .Commerce without morality. Science without humanity. Worship without sacrifice. Politics without principle.

Money. Greed. Naivety. Falsehoods. Exploitation. Welcome to the wonderful world of gramophones!

"He has as much comedic talent as the Straight man on a Linguaphone record "
Si vis pacem, para bellum Der Morgige Tag Ist Mein

Return to “Other Machines & Portables”