1910 Lindstrom/Parlophon Brass Horn Gramophone

All the machines NOT Covered above ie : Continental, Unbranded, Small firms & Any Portable machines (other than By HMV)
Gmemg
Site Admin

1910 Lindstrom/Parlophon Brass Horn Gramophone

Post by Gmemg » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:51 pm

I saw this machine on ebay and thought it worth a second look - from the pictures i couldn't decide if the horn was a repro - it was and is VERY shiny but the embossing is unusual and since i hadn't seen that on a repro before i thought it probably OK, the base was perfectly genuine with an embossed brass plaque in the front and a plain oak case

the backbracket is of a type used on repros but appeared a genuine original as was the usual ball jointed tonearm & Reform schalldose , the motor a typical early single spring motor as seen in many Continental ,machines .

I decided to try and buy it and eventually ended up with it for £205 - a suspicious price neither very cheap or representing what it should make as a genuine machine - it was located in Bradford but a friend collected it and it arrived - to my relief it was entirely genuine - the horn was shiny BUT because a former owner had really polished it up and thus it looks magnificent but also in a photo like a repro !

It's the sort of machine which would have been seriously desireable to the "decorative" antiques trade from the 1960s onwards and would have cost a high price then , when i became a collector in the 1980's such a thing would have had a premium price and at the height of Gramophone Prices in the early 1990s i could see a "london" dealer asking £1200 for such a machine as this and not being too bothered if he sold it quickly or not as a customer was sure to come along

it's the sort of machine which has suffered from the Brass horn repro plague but if i were still stalling out at decent Antiques Fairs i would still ask £750 for it as such a machine is as decorative to - day as it was 40 years ago and as it sounds wonderful i'm not in a hurry to sell !

It has been suggested that this machine - although with a Parlophon Motor might have been retailed under a number of names and that's certainly true and indeed could have been made at any time from C 1905 - 1912

Here it is

the machine - the Horn is 23" across the front and 27" from front to back

the Embossed Art Nouveau Detail on the thick brass horn

The Plain Oak case - when cleaned it was very shiny - and completely original

The Tonearm & backbracket

The Speed control - unique in my experience as it's engraved with flowers and originally nickelled

The Motor - a single spring Parlophon with complicated speed regulator - it will play more thn one side of a 12 " record

The embossed Plaque of a classical scene on the front

and here it is Playing :

https://youtu.be/EH2G_GWNrIg
Estott : "An Ancient Half - Mad Uncle "

My U - Tube Channel is : http://www.youtube.com/user/EMGColonel

Corruption in the CLPGS :
The Seven Social Sins are:
Wealth without work. Pleasure without conscience. Knowledge without character .Commerce without morality. Science without humanity. Worship without sacrifice. Politics without principle.

Money. Greed. Naivety. Falsehoods. Exploitation. Welcome to the wonderful world of gramophones!

"He has as much comedic talent as the Straight man on a Linguaphone record "
Si vis pacem, para bellum Der Morgige Tag Ist Mein

Return to “Other Machines & Portables”