EMG Expert Junior at local Auction

Gmemg
Site Admin

EMG Expert Junior at local Auction

Post by Gmemg » Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:36 pm

Greetings from The Squire,
I was in Market Snodsbury yesterday getting my horse re shod for the winter when I was told about a Gramophone with a large Horn that was coming up at a country house auction , I went to see it and was amazed to see an EMG Expert Junior in Very Good Condition , with an original Soundbox .As I am a bit out of touch with prices , What does anyone think it may be worth ?.

Ah yes, i saw that one yesterday and had i not got My larger one i would have had a go at it - better than those ridiculous "expert Minor" and other silly pathetic machines - why you'd be better off with a Crapophone than one of those !

The one we saw in in excellent condition, i had it working alas with the only record the auction could find, a 1950's pop record - they actually left ALL the former owners records at the house for the dustmen ! i made a "small" offer and will be collecting the lot next week when i can get a van organised - why do Tradesmen ALL want to have Xmas Orf ?

As to Value - well i suppose as it's in such good order with 2 soundboxes - one a 4 spring Expert and a 2 Spring EMG and all those accessories it must be worth something like £3500 but you must remember the Auction house's Comm rate & Vat etc and deduct at least 25% from your max bid to cover that

I gave the Porter a "white Fiver" (With My name on ) and he told me that there are a LOT more from that collection to come from that home and at least one :

"with a Long Horn, and some big cabinet ones "

I didn't see them so can only assume some sort of Wilson Horn Model (as rare as an Xmas Card from "Suicidal Steve" TMF Admin and "Born Again Jew") and hopefully some interesting cabinet ones too - the good thing is that this auction's NOT on the Internet so it'll be just Me, You and Roy at the sale for the Gramophones !!!!!

Terpophons Away !!!!

MAKE THE RING PAY (but not us eh!)

Re: EMG Expert Junior at local Auction
Postby JPClydesdale » Thu Dec 24, 2015 10:00 pm

I have an Expert Junior Machine from 1931and am truly astonished at the Value quoted in the above comment, is that really the value of such a machine nowadays ?

i had mine Valued for insurance purposes only 2 years ago at £500 with the records valued as "negligable" is the above quoted Value a mistake ?
JPClydesdale

Postby gerryb » Thu Dec 24, 2015 10:19 pm

I went to see steven last weekend and you can rely on his appraisal, he's got some wonderful machines in his collection
gerryb

Postby rgodridge » Fri Dec 25, 2015 12:06 am

that's great that it showed up at a small auction house!
I bet the original owner's records were good, you'dhave to love them to buy such a machine,likely high endclassical stuff.
If you ever here of any decent records being offered that neither of you particularly want do let meknow!
rgodridge

Postby HMV130 » Fri Dec 25, 2015 2:58 am

Is it possible that every times I am in the Uk I do not find anything in auction houses (not only in London)?! :x
My YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/HMV130gramophone
HMV130

Postby THE SQUIRE » Fri Dec 25, 2015 10:41 am

Wow are EMGs really worth that much , the last one that I bought I got from A London dealer was about £450,mind you that was quite a few weeks ago .
Happy Christmas and New Year to everyone
All the Best from Wild & Woolly West Oxfordhsire
THE SQUIRE

Postby Gmemg » Mon Dec 28, 2015 7:47 pm

I suppose it must have been quite a few weeks ago - a "London Dealer" Selling for that ! But then EMG/Expert machines have only really started making real money in fairly recent years, i recall going to Christies and seeing an Export 10a horn make, i think , £850 and a MK 9 make similar money - which seems cheap to - day yet was only maybe 10 years ago

I shall have to look up the Catalogue - it was the same sale that a french Tabletop Lumiere also made £850 and ended up with "Suicidal" Steve TMF admin for rather more than that via "The Leading Dealer" !

I'm not surprised HMV 130 can't find anything in the UK - most "Dealers" (In what i wonder) seem to put anything they have on Ebay and it's rarely worth bothering with so what do they do ? .............Relist it many many times ! most General "Antiques shops " & centres wouldn't know an antique if you hit them with one and won't touch anything mechanical so to see an Honest Expert Junior with it's accessories and now a LOT of other machines of note in one Auction is unusual ! and yet they wouldn't take the record collection as :

"They're not worth bothering with, too much work to take them out of the house "

well, i think they are and on Thursday that's where i shall be - loading up ! and hopefully before will be loading up with machines ....................

Post by THE SQUIRE » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:17 am

In the words of a famous song ," Wish luck as You wave me goodbye , when I go to an auction today " . I will let You know how I get on .
THE SQUIRE

Postby JPClydesdale » Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:17 pm

I shall be most interested to hear if you were successful in buying the Expert Junior mentioned
JPClydesdale

Postby Gmemg » Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:25 pm

well, it all went very well indeed - i won't spoil "the Squire's" Surprise as i', sure he wants to tell you how much he paid - i was terrified that "the Ring" or one of them at least would turn up and spoil everything - as it was some "clever Dick" (No, not me for once) made"The Squire" pay more than otherwise but certainly not "top money"

i bought 47 lots ! getting so exited i managed to bid on and buy one wrong lot - amazing but it only cost £10 so i'm hardly out of pocket the odd thing is that my lots cost me less than a Third of what i would have offered if i'd been asked to buy the whole collection straight out of the House !

I got he records as well - but that's becaue the Auctioneers didn;t want to move or try and sell them !

Postby rgodridge » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:01 pm

Looking forward to hearing what you got, and those records you got seem to have some amazing stuff!
rgodridge

Postby HMV130 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:19 pm

I'm so curious to know the fate of the Expert!
My YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/HMV130gramophone
HMV130

Postby Gmemg » Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:15 pm

i did well ! a Wilson Horn de Luxe EMG with two original "wild" ? Soundboxes and other bits & pieces was well worth having - it cost me slightly more than the first Bid due to the same "clever Dick" who pushed "The Squire" but it was still VERY cheap - after i bought it the "clever Dick" came up to me and said

"You do know it's made up don;t you - they never made ones like that and the lid has had one side cut off ! you'll never sell it "

i didn't tell him that it was a complete, rare and early survivor and that just the soundboxes were worth 4 times what i paid for the thing ! -

however as always :

"They know best"

so i didn't tell him !

i did get a LOT of other interesting machines which will feature here soon

Postby THE SQUIRE » Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:45 am

Greetings from The Squire ,
I had a very successful day at the auction , on arrival I was greeted by her ladyship who made me a nice cup of tea and passed round the biccies , I then went in to the grand ballroom where the auction was being held . I observed a few shadowy characters who had also come , but luckily for me they were furniture , and picture dealers . I waited for the expert junior to come up , it was about half way through the sale . I started the bidding off at £200 , and eventually got it for £500 . After making payment ,I said farewell to her ladyship who had a surprise for Me , she very kindly gave me a square blue box containing an unused spare expert soundbox , that might have been thrown away had she not realised what it was . I came home thinking that I had done rather well . And now I am the proud owner of an EMG Expert Junior Gramophone . I was unloading it at home , when My neighbour came out he saw the horn and asked ," where is the rest of the elephant " , needless to say I was not amused .
THE SQUIRE

Postby TheAustralianComrade » Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:09 pm

Sounds like both of you acquired some very interesting and exceptional pieces at good prices.Congratulations to you both, I have now turned green with envy.

Postby simo » Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:38 pm

THE SQUIRE wrote:
I had a very successful day at the auction , on arrival I was greeted by her ladyship who made me a nice cup of tea and passed round the biccies , I then went in to the grand ballroom where the auction was being held . I observed a few shadowy characters who had also come , but luckily for me they were furniture , and picture dealers . I waited for the expert junior to come up , it was about half way through the sale . I started the bidding off at £200 , and eventually got it for £500 . After making payment ,I said farewell to her ladyship who had a surprise for Me , she very kindly gave me a square blue box containing an unused spare expert soundbox , that might have been thrown away had she not realised what it was . I came home thinking that I had done rather well . And now I am the proud owner of an EMG Expert Junior Gramophone . I was unloading it at home , when My neighbour came out he saw the horn and asked ," where is the rest of the elephant " , needless to say I was not amused .

well done squire ,if you was to buy that from one of the dodgy dealers i'm guessing it would set you back between £2000 -£3000 and a free soundbox!
simo

Postby Gmemg » Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:50 pm

I wondered what was going on as we left ! i didn't realise she gave you another soundbox - how generous ! i'm delighted with my lots although i have had to spend most of to - day sorting them out

it didn;t help that one of my "companions" has bought a Sports car which arrived to - day and had to be garaged due to the Insurance so i had to shift alot of records

so a busy day - but when "the Squire" says :

" I observed a few shadowy characters who had also come " ?

does he mean me ?

Postby JPClydesdale » Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:59 pm

May i ask The Squire how he finds this machine - are you satisfied with it and it's performance ?
JPClydesdale

Postby THE SQUIRE » Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:10 pm

In answer to the above post from J P Clydesdale , I am very pleased with the Expert Junior , and its performance , it was £500 well spent . The strange thing was that I was talking to one of the chaps back in December , and He asked Me if I had had any E M G items come My way . At the time I said that I hadn't ,but two days later I was told about this one , which I was able to buy . Life is full of surprises , is it not . I am having great fun trying different sound boxes , and carrying out adjustments .
THE SQUIRE

P
Postby JPClydesdale » Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:59 am

indeed it is, i gain great enjoyment and pleasure from my machine, it's value or worth is immaterial to me but may i ask if you find a two spring Expert soundbox is superior to the larger version?

i tend to play mostly orchestral works on my machine and find the balance with the two spring soundbox most satisfying whilst when i use the larger soundbox with some records the balance is upset and the Bass notes are rather over - emphasised, do you find that ?
JPClydesdale

Postby THE SQUIRE » Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:08 pm

The possibilities are endless , when it comes to which soundbox to use with a particular type of record . Collectors of the past used to sometimes have several soundboxes adjusted for different records , I have the four spring Experts at the moment so I cannot make a comparison . If some records are bass heavy I would try a longer fibre , or screw in the quint tube and see what happens . I quite like a good Meltrope 3 soundbox for a change , but it is a matter of personal taste , I think that a good combination of soundbox to gramophone would be to use a trebly box with large horn , and a bassey box with a small one . However the thing to do is have fun and experiment and see what results You can achieve .
THE SQUIRE

Postby JPClydesdale » Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:05 pm

Thank you for your instructive and informative reply, I inherited my Expert Junior from a relative who had had it new, he specified when he gave his order that he would be playing primarily orchestral and instrumental works and thus they supplied him with two soundboxes one for use with Fibre needles when playing Orchestral works and one for use with soft tone steel needles for use with Instrumental and Popular works as he also played a few Jazz records

alas he didn't inform me which is which but i have, sine inheriting this machine experimented and found the Four Spring box best with Fibre Needles when playing Orchestral works and the Two Spring Soundbox when playing other works although i admit that i have in my decades of ownership found that some records prefer the other Soundbox
Estott : "An Ancient Half - Mad Uncle "

My U - Tube Channel is : http://www.youtube.com/user/EMGColonel

Corruption in the CLPGS :
The Seven Social Sins are:
Wealth without work. Pleasure without conscience. Knowledge without character .Commerce without morality. Science without humanity. Worship without sacrifice. Politics without principle.

Money. Greed. Naivety. Falsehoods. Exploitation. Welcome to the wonderful world of gramophones!

"He has as much comedic talent as the Straight man on a Linguaphone record "
Si vis pacem, para bellum Der Morgige Tag Ist Mein

Return to “Seymour/EMG/Expert/Bond cascade”