Expert/Wilson? Varley Electric Pickup

Gmemg
Site Admin

Expert/Wilson? Varley Electric Pickup

Post by Gmemg » Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:27 pm

I recently bought - after protracted negotiations - an "interesting" Expert Gramophone ! it came with the "radio Block" which fits between the horn & bracket and allows the horn to be used as an extension speaker - and the former owners having had it completely restored last year it works very well indeed and can be used with an Amplifier to reproduce Cds sadly with mixed results as the Expert really does emphasise the often poor quality of some CDs

Alas the machine itself is far too large to fit in "the Grange" so lives with kind Guardians in a far more gracious residence not far from where it was found

the Radio Block had a socket in it of which no - one knew the function as well as some holes in the motorboard showing where something had been removed, a needle tin seemed unlikely and as i couldn't think what else i forgot about them - until yesterday ! when looking in the case i saw a parcel wrapped in brown paper under the plumbing and inside i found this :

A Very unusual and seemingly complicated Electric Pickup & arm with Autostop

The Arm moves in a Tangential manner across the record which means it has perfect tracking

The end of the carrier arm - a sort of angular Gooseneck is counter - weighted by Spring tension - adjustable

I can find out littel about the makers - but it seems this may have been made in very limited numbers C 1930

There is even a Rest for the soundbox whilst changing the needles

Patent details

The Plug which fits into the "Radio Block" Socket

This thing is most odd - it appears to be something specifically designed not only to have Perfect tracking but also to reduce record wear - and most importantly it is used to make a large Acoustic Expert machine into a radio - Gram , thus defeating the object of having an Acoustic machine !

Does anyone know anything about this odd arm and who designed it ?
Estott : "An Ancient Half - Mad Uncle "

My U - Tube Channel is : http://www.youtube.com/user/EMGColonel

Corruption in the CLPGS :
The Seven Social Sins are:
Wealth without work. Pleasure without conscience. Knowledge without character .Commerce without morality. Science without humanity. Worship without sacrifice. Politics without principle.

Money. Greed. Naivety. Falsehoods. Exploitation. Welcome to the wonderful world of gramophones!

"He has as much comedic talent as the Straight man on a Linguaphone record "
Si vis pacem, para bellum Der Morgige Tag Ist Mein

Return to “Seymour/EMG/Expert/Bond cascade”