Dismantling & Restoring an HMV no 34 Motor

For anything related to this firm
Gmemg
Site Admin

Dismantling & Restoring an HMV no 34 Motor

Post by Gmemg » Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:55 pm

I had to dismantle & re - build several HMV 34 motors to - day - luckily i had Rob's Cd to listen to as one of them was more problematic than the others ! BUT here's one that went well

First you have to remove the central Bar onto which the barrels are held - to do that you have to first remove the grub screws BUT first make sure the motor has NO power in it !

You may have to clear old grease out to find the grub screws :

THEN - you have to remove the central Bar - i use a long bolt to tap the bar out of the first barrel - it is imperative NOT to damage either end of the bar as the bar MUST rotate and any damage will prevent that

Then take the barrel out and remove the spring clip & top plate

Then Take the first spring out - the problem was then revealed - a build up of hard old grease had actually meant that the hook wasn't engaging so it meant cleaning the spring barrel out and then cleaning the spring - then removing the seperator plate and taking out the lower spring and doing the same

spring

Alas you can't just do one spring or even one pair of springs - you have to do all 4 so repeat with the other two re - grease and re - assemble but remember when putting the bar back to just tap the end in with either a long bolt or piece of wood to avoid damaging the end - also make sure the holes for the grub screw are facing the top to make it easier when putting them back in

Estott : "An Ancient Half - Mad Uncle "

My U - Tube Channel is : http://www.youtube.com/user/EMGColonel

Corruption in the CLPGS :
The Seven Social Sins are:
Wealth without work. Pleasure without conscience. Knowledge without character .Commerce without morality. Science without humanity. Worship without sacrifice. Politics without principle.

Money. Greed. Naivety. Falsehoods. Exploitation. Welcome to the wonderful world of gramophones!

"He has as much comedic talent as the Straight man on a Linguaphone record "
Si vis pacem, para bellum Der Morgige Tag Ist Mein

Return to “G & T and HMV”