Gramophone Co 2 Spring "Pigmy Grand " 1909

For anything related to this firm
Gmemg
Site Admin

Gramophone Co 2 Spring "Pigmy Grand " 1909

Post by Gmemg » Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:26 pm

Many will have seen the rather rare "Pigmy Grand" Gramophones - smallish machines with a single spring motor and a 10" Turntable with a unique backbracket arrangement meaning the tonearm could be removed quickly and the whole thing fitted into a travelling case - it was the first "portable" HMV machine and was introduced in 1908 , i have owned three of them and wasn't overly impressed with the sound quality and thus sold them on, i had heard rumours of a Double spring version MUCH larger and NOT merely adapted from it's smaller brother, some elderly CLPGS Twits had siad to me they such machines didn;t exist and were :

" A Legend "

or even

"Made up from the Small Pigmy Grand Parts"

then in my early days on Ebay one appeared for sale, i think it made over £500 and wasn't in great condition - i said to a friend at the time :

"We won;t see another like that !"

but under the "sod's Law Of Collecting No 5 - "Ebay makes rare things seem common" another appeared a week later and made more ! then a week later another appeared without it's grille and sold to The Germany Reich for only slightly less than the first .............

Then this week "the Squire" Bought one - in what can only be described as "Country Huse Condition" just as you would want to find one - straight out of the House , untouched, un"mucked About with" and completely genuine - without it's leather travelling case but well worth having - we played it and i was MOST Surprised at the quality of sound - a little research in the Roger Thorne Archive revealed an original advert (well a Typical Roger Photocopy of the original) revealing it was announced in 1909 and was a fearsome price

Here's the recording "The Squire " and i Made when he boought it over for me to see

https://youtu.be/BTv1FewIFg0

here it is :

From the front - the Turntable cloth is original and matching my grass !

Image 1

The Unique transfer incorporating the Coat of Arms of HM Queen Alexandra

The Unique Grille - MUCH Larger than on the smaller version being 5" square

Image 3

The Top showing the 12" Turntable

Image 4

The LH Side showing how far back the tonarm is fixes - the tonearm is 10" from the pivot point to the spindle

Image 5

The Back showing the unique arrangement for removing the tonearm 6

And from a different angle showing the patent number plate

Image 8

The standard 2 spring Monarch Motor mounted sideways to fit it in

Image 7

No paper label underneath but a stamped number "47" and some writing

Image 9

and finally an original Newspaper advert for this machine from late 1909

Estott : "An Ancient Half - Mad Uncle "

My U - Tube Channel is : http://www.youtube.com/user/EMGColonel

Corruption in the CLPGS :
The Seven Social Sins are:
Wealth without work. Pleasure without conscience. Knowledge without character .Commerce without morality. Science without humanity. Worship without sacrifice. Politics without principle.

Money. Greed. Naivety. Falsehoods. Exploitation. Welcome to the wonderful world of gramophones!

"He has as much comedic talent as the Straight man on a Linguaphone record "
Si vis pacem, para bellum Der Morgige Tag Ist Mein

Return to “G & T and HMV”