"Melba" on "the Saleroom" or will it be a "Penna - Phone" ?

For anything related to this firm
Gmemg
Site Admin

"Melba" on "the Saleroom" or will it be a "Penna - Phone" ?

Post by Gmemg » Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:24 pm

Well, sometimes strange things do happen - after all my motto always has been

"Anything can turn up anywhere"

so i was, initially rather surprised to see a "melba" G & T Machine on the sale room - alas that surprise didn;t last ! as things didn't quite add up - first of all you look at the photos - all well and good - slightly tatty machine with early type horn and basket , looks just out of an attic ..............but then you see the soundbox and it has new rubber gasketts ! how strange - were they changed for the auction so the machine could sound it's best and yet no - one bothered to dust the machine at the same time ?

at that point i thought :

"The description - it actually say's "Melba" how would an Auctioneer know that ? is is graffito'd on the case ?"

as we all know Auctioneers rarely know anything about Gramophones and usually cannot be bothered to look them up - they could get "Gramophone & Typewriter" from the soundbox but not "Melba" and certainly wouldn't know about a "later Handle" (Not pictured)

then look at where it's being Sold - "The West Country" how very suspicious where a LOT of unusual and desireable machines have appeared in recent times - in fact since "mr Wiggy" moved to be close to "fagin's Antiques Centre" which moved from london - did he want to be close to his investment ?

SO the conclusion Must be that This is one of those machines which had staggered round the Trade for years acquiring horns/soundboxes then losing them then finding others and a horn basket ended up with "a Dealer" who (Tom) Plant's it into a sale with the appearance of being from a "clearance" yet get's it described AND reserved correctly no doubt !

I would BE VERY careful about this one and IF serious then GO IN PERSON to view - what can you lose ? would YOU want to buy another "Penna - phone" As heard in a radio programme soon ?) as happened in Bristol a "trademark" With NEW Horn & after purchase a motor patched up by Mike "Faker" Field So badly the instruction was "Don't use it too often "

as Shaw taylor used to say

"Keep 'Em Peeled"

here it is

http://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/aucti ... 53011d11ac
Estott : "An Ancient Half - Mad Uncle "

My U - Tube Channel is : http://www.youtube.com/user/EMGColonel

Corruption in the CLPGS :
The Seven Social Sins are:
Wealth without work. Pleasure without conscience. Knowledge without character .Commerce without morality. Science without humanity. Worship without sacrifice. Politics without principle.

Money. Greed. Naivety. Falsehoods. Exploitation. Welcome to the wonderful world of gramophones!

"He has as much comedic talent as the Straight man on a Linguaphone record "
Si vis pacem, para bellum Der Morgige Tag Ist Mein

Return to “G & T and HMV”