1907 Silver G & T Snuff Box/ Vesta Case

For anything related to this firm
Gmemg
Site Admin

1907 Silver G & T Snuff Box/ Vesta Case

Post by Gmemg » Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:21 pm

This was an interesting item i saw in a jewellers recently - i went in to buy a Girlfriend an item of jewelry and was very surprised to see this in a display case it was NOT Cheap but i have't seen one for sale before (And cannot find another one in any of the Catalogues i have)

i looked it up in the "red " book and there's very little information, such as why they were made but we can assume it was as some sort of gift to the Trade perhaps ? successful dealers (they wouldn't need to make many now !) it has been suggested they were given to the TOP artistes such as Melba & Tetrazzini but i would think such things would be personally inscribed but it's a certainly a reasonable theory - the one pictures has had a ring attached so it can be fixed to a watch chain whilst this has never had that but it's use is not easily determined as it has the shape of a Snuff box BUT has the striker for Vesta matches,

It is Hallmarked for Chester 1907 by Sampson - Morden & Co, the leading maker of Silver "toys" the then term for novelty items of silver ,

here's the top - heavily cast with the trademark

the inscription inside

the sides - showing there is and was no ring

finally the striker

Estott : "An Ancient Half - Mad Uncle "

My U - Tube Channel is : http://www.youtube.com/user/EMGColonel

Corruption in the CLPGS :
The Seven Social Sins are:
Wealth without work. Pleasure without conscience. Knowledge without character .Commerce without morality. Science without humanity. Worship without sacrifice. Politics without principle.

Money. Greed. Naivety. Falsehoods. Exploitation. Welcome to the wonderful world of gramophones!

"He has as much comedic talent as the Straight man on a Linguaphone record "
Si vis pacem, para bellum Der Morgige Tag Ist Mein

Return to “G & T and HMV”