HMV Style No 3 hornless - Tracking 3/4 " Out !

For anything related to this firm
Gmemg
Site Admin

HMV Style No 3 hornless - Tracking 3/4 " Out !

Post by Gmemg » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:56 pm

IRecently bought this pretty style no 3 HMV machine as part of a collection of very fine, original and interesting machines from a Country House Collection (they were going to call SAS In but i persuaded them i could offer a better price ! (and i got the records for FREE ! )

I have been gradually going through the machines - all untouched and original and found this one A 1911 Style no 3 - it comes with an original Leather Travelling case and was apparently treated as a "Portable" When i looked more carefully i found that the tracking was way out - 3/4 " in fact - even with a very short needle

Then i noticed that the motor was Off- centre - the whole thing is very very pretty but technically a disaster for records - although curiously the records i have all G & T's, Odeons, Fonotipia's and Berliners are in good condition - the Danceband records are still to be found - i shall be spending a week there looking soon

I shall do a better Profile of the machine soon when the case comes back from the saddlers where it's being repaired but for now Here's the machine

The terrible tracking

Image]

The off - centre turntable

the motor - as built

The labels underneath - not been on wet grass very often !

and the inked label faded but legible - "passed by Mr Penfold"

Estott : "An Ancient Half - Mad Uncle "

My U - Tube Channel is : http://www.youtube.com/user/EMGColonel

Corruption in the CLPGS :
The Seven Social Sins are:
Wealth without work. Pleasure without conscience. Knowledge without character .Commerce without morality. Science without humanity. Worship without sacrifice. Politics without principle.

Money. Greed. Naivety. Falsehoods. Exploitation. Welcome to the wonderful world of gramophones!

"He has as much comedic talent as the Straight man on a Linguaphone record "
Si vis pacem, para bellum Der Morgige Tag Ist Mein

Return to “G & T and HMV”