Re: Meltrope I, II, III soundbox by Amplifiers Limited

Gmemg
Site Admin

Post by Gmemg » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:36 pm

Interesting - Most Meltrope 1/2 soundboxes are nickelled some, very rarely are gilt and and most Meltrope 3s are "anodised" which is a form of electro - Plating with copper (pretentiously called "Florentine Bronze" by HMV) , later ones used on Decca machines are chrome plated

As to variants - well "Amplifiers Ltd" were trade suppliers and would sell to anyone and give them what they wanted. the amazing thing is that a Mass - Produced Meltrope soundbox is often as good, if not better than any "Carriage trade" soundbox such as Lenthall, Wild or even EMG

as for a Time - Line, who knows they probably made them concurrently as with the Meltrope 1 & 2

I found these in a collection of soundboxes i bought recently

The Boxes

The Soundboxes

Estott : "An Ancient Half - Mad Uncle "

My U - Tube Channel is : http://www.youtube.com/user/EMGColonel

Corruption in the CLPGS :
The Seven Social Sins are:
Wealth without work. Pleasure without conscience. Knowledge without character .Commerce without morality. Science without humanity. Worship without sacrifice. Politics without principle.

Money. Greed. Naivety. Falsehoods. Exploitation. Welcome to the wonderful world of gramophones!

"He has as much comedic talent as the Straight man on a Linguaphone record "
Si vis pacem, para bellum Der Morgige Tag Ist Mein

Gmemg
Site Admin

Post by Gmemg » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:38 pm

Here are some adverts of the Meltrope 111 and 111a soundboxes from "The gramophone" magazine 1931

review of the Meltrope 111

Review of the Meltrope 111 continued and the review for the Meltrope 111a

Advert for the meltrope 111

advert for the Meltrope 111a

Wealth without work. Pleasure without conscience. Knowledge without character .Commerce without morality. Science without humanity. Worship without sacrifice. Politics without principle.

Money. Greed. Naivety. Falsehoods. Exploitation. Welcome to the wonderful world of gramophones!

Gmemg
Site Admin

Post by Gmemg » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:39 pm

It's the Leaflet which came with all Meltrope 3 soundboxes - i was delighted to get the Soundbox, Box and leaflet with the 101 as i didn't think i had one BUT i find i already do with another meltrope !

The key Phrase is this :

"the Tone of the Soundbox can be varied by adjusting the Tightness of the knurled nut (on the back) thus controlling the flexibility of the soundbox on the tone arm also by sliding the soundbox on tone arm in longitudinal direction in different positions "

SO by loosening the knut on the back or tightening it you can alter the tone adding either bass or Treble - and THAT also applies to EMG/Expert soundboxes as well !

Here the photo

and the back

Return to “Soundboxes”