chromic needles recommended by gramophone mag, any good?

rgodridge

chromic needles recommended by gramophone mag, any good?

Post by rgodridge » Tue May 08, 2018 3:29 pm

I've just read this in the april 1923 edition of gramophone, I haven't corrected the scanning errors

REVIEW of the records. issued during the first quarter of 1923 has one disquieting feature. The Vocalion Company, which throughout 1921 and 1922 had scarcely failed to provide every month something for lovers of chamber music, has during the whole of these three months issued only one record of chamber music. This is the completion of the Mozart Trio in E major, arranged by Lionel Tertis for violin, viola, and pianoforte. It is a beautiful record, but it has a horrible scratch. I do hope that the Vocalion Company will pay attention to this scratch of theirs. I should have had to give up playing their chamber music on steel, if the introduction of the Sympathetic Chromic needle had not done a great deal to relieve the situation most cordially recommend this needle to . all lovers of chamber· music; and though I have not been able to substantiate the makers' claim that it will always play twenty records with each point, I find that it can be relied upon to play fifteen. I t has less scratch than fibre, and the tone is sweeter except when large soundboxes like the Superphone or Astra, which show off fibre needles at their best, are used.

So, what do we think?

Gmemg
Site Admin

Re: chromic needles recommended by gramophone mag, any good?

Post by Gmemg » Tue May 08, 2018 8:07 pm

I took the liberty of removing the glitches from this piece so it could be more easily read - i have a lot of the Sympathetic chromic needles and the holders for them - to those unfamiliar with those needles they are extremely fine - hence the holders to fit a normal soundbox socket - i can't say i've ever used them myself but others i know have and are very impressed with the results

it should go without saying that a LOUD tone needle will not only increase the sound but also dramatically increase the surface noise so an extra fine needle will reduce the volume but also almost completely remove the surface noise hence the recommendation here

I shall do a few tests and see what happens
Estott : "An Ancient Half - Mad Uncle "

My U - Tube Channel is : http://www.youtube.com/user/EMGColonel

Corruption in the CLPGS :
The Seven Social Sins are:
Wealth without work. Pleasure without conscience. Knowledge without character .Commerce without morality. Science without humanity. Worship without sacrifice. Politics without principle.

Money. Greed. Naivety. Falsehoods. Exploitation. Welcome to the wonderful world of gramophones!

"He has as much comedic talent as the Straight man on a Linguaphone record "
Si vis pacem, para bellum Der Morgige Tag Ist Mein

rgodridge

Post by rgodridge » Wed May 09, 2018 8:28 pm

I don't have the holder to put them in the soundbox, or any of the needles, and I am curious now!

Gmemg
Site Admin

Post by Gmemg » Thu May 10, 2018 3:43 pm

the needles are very fine - i shall try a comparison to - day

Wealth without work. Pleasure without conscience. Knowledge without character .Commerce without morality. Science without humanity. Worship without sacrifice. Politics without principle.

Money. Greed. Naivety. Falsehoods. Exploitation. Welcome to the wonderful world of gramophones!

Gmemg
Site Admin

Post by Gmemg » Fri May 11, 2018 5:51 am

Here's the comparison - i think it's quite good, the grip is designed so you can get three tones from the same needle with a greatly reduced surface noise

https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=Q8uT1vXdQ_Q

rgodridge

Post by rgodridge » Fri May 11, 2018 4:36 pm

They do sound quite good don't they, and that record sounds as though it is in mint condition!
How does the grip work? Do you put the needle in the grip and put both in the soundbox?

Gmemg
Site Admin

Post by Gmemg » Sat May 12, 2018 11:12 am

That's it - that's how it works . It's annoying that when i wanted to test this with a really crackly surfaced record i couldn't find one - i must have thousands but at the time of the video i couldn't find one but when i do i shall do a short video to see how and if this really does reduce surface noise

Return to “Needles”