Unusual Large Motor No 1

Gmemg
Site Admin

Unusual Large Motor No 1

Post by Gmemg » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:28 pm

This is the first of an occasional series requested by several people i've spoken to recently - one said to me :

"what's the largest motor you've ever seen ? "

and another said:

"All gramophone motors are the same aren't they ?"

The first question caused some thought whilst the second was rather silly - ALL Gramophone motors do the same job but the variety of ways they do it and the way they are powered are quite different ! so here's the first of the many motors i have which are of interest.

When you think about it in the early 1920's very few Gramophones had anything other than double spring motors - some VERY Large it has to be said but mostly they were 2 X 1" Springs - some like the Monarch Motors are Triple Sprung and certainly Columbia machines had Triple springs as well but not too many Swiss or Continental motor s are more than that and even later the Garrard No 1 , 1a and even the "Super " motor are all 2 spring and it's only until the HMV no 34 motor was introduced do any machines get a 4 Spring

This is 4 spring and works very well and on a Bench test to - day ran at 78rpm for 40 minutes at full wind and that's unrestored ! i think this one may be American but i have seen one fitted into an Aeolian Vocalion de Luxe cabinet machine so that may have been specially ordered and fitted .

The Motor from the top - the casting is solid but there's a curious bracket bolted onto the LH Side !

The Bracket bolts on to allow this motor to go from , i assume a 3 spring Motor to a 4 but presumably they could add as many as they liked with the right bracket - it reminds me of the Columbia "Rail " System where the end block slides along rails to accomodate different numbers of springs

The Motor from Underneath - very simple and with the minimum metal

Estott : "An Ancient Half - Mad Uncle "

My U - Tube Channel is : http://www.youtube.com/user/EMGColonel

Corruption in the CLPGS :
The Seven Social Sins are:
Wealth without work. Pleasure without conscience. Knowledge without character .Commerce without morality. Science without humanity. Worship without sacrifice. Politics without principle.

Money. Greed. Naivety. Falsehoods. Exploitation. Welcome to the wonderful world of gramophones!

"He has as much comedic talent as the Straight man on a Linguaphone record "
Si vis pacem, para bellum Der Morgige Tag Ist Mein

Return to “Motors,”