a Tale of 2 Garrrard No 20's

Gmemg
Site Admin

a Tale of 2 Garrrard No 20's

Post by Gmemg » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:28 pm

I've often said there's a "sods LAw" of collecting and this was proven today when repairing a motor for a friend who wanted to use his portable gramophone at Xmas - there's not long to go and his had got a broken spring - actually it happened in the Summer but he had forgotten and now it's far to late (and in this case ) too expensive to buy a new spring for a garrard No 20 (Approx £350

He asked if i could help and i took one look at the motorboard with the turntable removed and say it was a Garrard no 20 - one of the most commonly used motors in the late 1920's for all types of portables of almost any quality so i thought i must have a few spare ones so went to look ....................

ALL the ones i found needed work and crucially also needed new springs ! i found a derelict Decca portable and although the speed control was different the holes were in the right place and LO it was a Garrard No 20 and it worked so i got out my screwdriver and set to work ONLY to find that although it was undoubtedly a Garrard no 20 It wad been made for Decca and the winder is at an agle to the motor !

I solved this by just switching the spring barrels, i can only assume Decca ordered a batch of these for their models not only with Decca Cast in but also with this different winding arrangement - tooling up must have been expensive !

but here they are

The Top Plates are identical as are the works ........

But the winder is crucially at another angle

Estott : "An Ancient Half - Mad Uncle "

My U - Tube Channel is : http://www.youtube.com/user/EMGColonel

Corruption in the CLPGS :
The Seven Social Sins are:
Wealth without work. Pleasure without conscience. Knowledge without character .Commerce without morality. Science without humanity. Worship without sacrifice. Politics without principle.

Money. Greed. Naivety. Falsehoods. Exploitation. Welcome to the wonderful world of gramophones!

"He has as much comedic talent as the Straight man on a Linguaphone record "
Si vis pacem, para bellum Der Morgige Tag Ist Mein

Return to “Motors,”