Problems with the HMV Oilbath Motor - Beware !

Gmemg
Site Admin

Problems with the HMV Oilbath Motor - Beware !

Post by Gmemg » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:26 pm

I think it fair to warn collectors that the Very rare HMV Oil Bath motor can be a REAL problem if it appears to be broken - quite apart from dismantling it the spring barrels are side by side and not one on top of the other - that leads to rather serious problems ....

I spoke about this to Barry Williamson Years ago and he said that if they don;t work it can be a broken spring BUT it can also be sheared teeth on the Spring barrels which is a very serious problem for those without lathe skills !

I think he said that the spring barrels were an unusual size (but may be mistaken) and cannot just be "nicked" from another motor and fitted in - even if it is a broken spring putting the top plate back on (it's the only access) can be a nightmare as you have to line up all the oil tubes with the holes in the top - all without being able to see them through the top plate !

Unless working - they're best avoided was Barry's advice
Estott : "An Ancient Half - Mad Uncle "

My U - Tube Channel is : http://www.youtube.com/user/EMGColonel

Corruption in the CLPGS :
The Seven Social Sins are:
Wealth without work. Pleasure without conscience. Knowledge without character .Commerce without morality. Science without humanity. Worship without sacrifice. Politics without principle.

Money. Greed. Naivety. Falsehoods. Exploitation. Welcome to the wonderful world of gramophones!

"He has as much comedic talent as the Straight man on a Linguaphone record "
Si vis pacem, para bellum Der Morgige Tag Ist Mein

Return to “Motors,”