Variations in HMV 32 Motors

Gmemg
Site Admin

Variations in HMV 32 Motors

Post by Gmemg » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:51 pm

I thought for many years that No 32 motors - whether Victor, HMV or Continental HMV were all the same - "why should they be different ?" i thought "they all come from Victor in America or are based on their patents so they must be the same "

The one day i had a french "Voix de som Maitre" cabinet machine - nothing special but it had an HMV 32 motor , the spring was broken so instead of re - dpringing i decided to change the barrel with a spare - it wouldn't fit !

The barrels were different sizes and the cast frame was different as well as the bolt fittings being in slightly diffferent places !

Here's Proof ;

I recently bought a large collection of records recently and had to take - the mostly poor condition - machines as well, some were so poor i burned them as they were beyond any economic repair or restoration BUT i did save the fittings & motors one of the machines was a small orthophonic Victrola - actually a Canadian Retailed machine - here's the plaque from it

Here's the motor on the Left - the casting is different, the Barrel has a strange ridge and the springs are held in place by two large bolts

even the winding arrangements are different

Estott : "An Ancient Half - Mad Uncle "

My U - Tube Channel is : http://www.youtube.com/user/EMGColonel

Corruption in the CLPGS :
The Seven Social Sins are:
Wealth without work. Pleasure without conscience. Knowledge without character .Commerce without morality. Science without humanity. Worship without sacrifice. Politics without principle.

Money. Greed. Naivety. Falsehoods. Exploitation. Welcome to the wonderful world of gramophones!

"He has as much comedic talent as the Straight man on a Linguaphone record "
Si vis pacem, para bellum Der Morgige Tag Ist Mein

Return to “Motors,”