Making a large Horn acoustic Machine

For Any Discsussion on the Subject
rgodridge

Making a large Horn acoustic Machine

Post by rgodridge » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:45 am

I took the liberty of moving Rob's Post from another section to a new topic as i fell it may make an interesting separate discussion

Here :

why on earth,
was he running low on space?
my friend Alan is offering to make a poor man's EMG for me with a huge public adress horn, why not? I'll never afford a real one and if it sounds good why would I care what it is? shock! horror! a fake/knockoff that sounds good!

Gmemg
Site Admin

Re: Making a large Horn acoustic Machine

Post by Gmemg » Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:32 pm

I really like the idea of making a Large Horn machine from a Public Address system Horn - some years ago i made such a machine (if rather temporarily_ by linking two public address system horns and an expert junior with garden Hose pipe to a small portable machine and the result was astonishing as the sound went to all three equally !

[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0uXUx8-T0c/url]

It may not have been the most scientific machine and wasn't pretty but the sound was great especially if you consider that this was outside !

May i make a few suggestions,

1) - Find a Long tonearm - one of the Gilbert Bugle ones would be good

2) use a Good soundbox such as a Meltrope 3 but why not a rebuilt HMV no 4

3) i proved that it doesn't matter what you use to connect the machine to the horn as long as it's parallel bore - such as garden Hose !

The Copper horn i have is 2ft across the front and 40" long so produces a very good tone - i have yet to try it in the house but may do so ! all i did is to take a simple portable attach the hose under the tonearm base and then put that into the end of the horn - as long as the end under the tonarm is sealed then it will work fine

Good Luck !
Estott : "An Ancient Half - Mad Uncle "

My U - Tube Channel is : http://www.youtube.com/user/EMGColonel

Corruption in the CLPGS :
The Seven Social Sins are:
Wealth without work. Pleasure without conscience. Knowledge without character .Commerce without morality. Science without humanity. Worship without sacrifice. Politics without principle.

Money. Greed. Naivety. Falsehoods. Exploitation. Welcome to the wonderful world of gramophones!

"He has as much comedic talent as the Straight man on a Linguaphone record "
Si vis pacem, para bellum Der Morgige Tag Ist Mein

rgodridge

Post by rgodridge » Tue May 01, 2018 12:19 am

My friend had actually made an electrical machine but only the moter was electric, but didn't have space to store it, however when I asked him if he'd be willing to make something for me his reply was something like sure, why not? it'd be fun
I'll keep you folks updated on it!

Gmemg
Site Admin

Post by Gmemg » Sun May 06, 2018 9:44 am

I think it's well worth doing - why not - had no one experimented we'd all be listing to music from tinfoil phonographs (a lot of CLPGS members actually still do )
Estott : "An Ancient Half - Mad Uncle "

My U - Tube Channel is : http://www.youtube.com/user/EMGColonel

Corruption in the CLPGS :
The Seven Social Sins are:
Wealth without work. Pleasure without conscience. Knowledge without character .Commerce without morality. Science without humanity. Worship without sacrifice. Politics without principle.

Money. Greed. Naivety. Falsehoods. Exploitation. Welcome to the wonderful world of gramophones!

"He has as much comedic talent as the Straight man on a Linguaphone record "
Si vis pacem, para bellum Der Morgige Tag Ist Mein

Return to “General Forum”