What's This ? Trademark in Hull with others

For Any Discsussion on the Subject
Gmemg
Site Admin

What's This ? Trademark in Hull with others

Post by Gmemg » Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:31 am

It's most odd isn't it - yet again neither "Gramtastic" nor "the Inspector" have mentioned another interesting machine now in auction , are they busy looking at the "dear Chaps'" dull weather vane - are they admiring his Bogus "stained Glass" , laughing at his dull "cartoons" or are they like him busy inserting the weathervane somewhere his wife* won't see during more upbeat "society" meetings ?

It's also odd how often quite large collections of items can turn up in regional auctions and then how complete machine mysteriously end up in separate lots ! it's certainly happened at an Auction in Hull where quite a few machines have turned up - i could tell you how many but for some odd reason they're not in one section of the catalogue but scattered throughout the sale - most annoying for those who choose to visit in person - or perhaps go :

"to Hull and Back "

One machine is apparently of interest but at a closer look isn't (yet) of interest to the "discerning collector" (Who he, Chunnsori ? - ED ) it's essentially a trademark machine but for some odd reason it's lot 271 whilst what appears to be the correct horn is lot 251 hanging from the roof which makes me suspicious - are the elbow & soundbox about somewhere ? waiting to be discovered or is the whole lot from "the Trade" carefully inserted like the Weathervane) into a provincial sale to trap the unwary ?

A glance at the "trademark" shows that the travelling arm is rather newer than the machine (last tuesday ?) but to the correct pattern so NOT made by an amateur - it won't take much effort to take a bit of old, aged oak from a Victorian Wardrobe and make a better and more convincing one but if the arm isn't right then what about the horn ? a "Right" horn might be more trouble and expense so could the horn in the sale be a Barry Williamson special - it is as shiny & clean as the one "Suicidal" Steve TMF Admin got with the "Style no 4" from "the Leading Dealer" which he then had to spend ages trying to convince people was genuine - alas wishful thinking didn't make it so but maybe he got his £2200 back .........................................Err Perhaps not !

there are other machines in the sale but none are really worth mentioning although one "swissie" seems to have had the same treatment and has become detached from it's horn which is also hanging from the roof

Worth looking this sale up but as ever with the UK Gramophone scene remember :

"Caveat Emptor" and "All that glisters is not Gold "

here's the link to the auction

https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/auct ... b100b6faa1

* His wife is well know for her "All Wimmin Adventure holidays " wearing dungarees and smoking a pipe whilst he dresses up in women's clothes and appears on stage - they're a very "theatrical" family apparently
Estott : "An Ancient Half - Mad Uncle "

My U - Tube Channel is : http://www.youtube.com/user/EMGColonel

Corruption in the CLPGS :
The Seven Social Sins are:
Wealth without work. Pleasure without conscience. Knowledge without character .Commerce without morality. Science without humanity. Worship without sacrifice. Politics without principle.

Money. Greed. Naivety. Falsehoods. Exploitation. Welcome to the wonderful world of gramophones!

"He has as much comedic talent as the Straight man on a Linguaphone record "
Si vis pacem, para bellum Der Morgige Tag Ist Mein

rgodridge

Re: What's This ? Trademark in Hull with others

Post by rgodridge » Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:33 pm

oh, go to hull!

Seriously though, I could
go to hull
and collect any machine I wone, is there anything I as a bit of an audiophile might want?

Gmemg
Site Admin

Post by Gmemg » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:44 pm

There are a couple of horn machines - alas sold in separate lots to the horns, one an Interesting HMV no Bedford crapophones so you should be OK !

Wealth without work. Pleasure without conscience. Knowledge without character .Commerce without morality. Science without humanity. Worship without sacrifice. Politics without principle.

Money. Greed. Naivety. Falsehoods. Exploitation. Welcome to the wonderful world of gramophones!

Gmemg
Site Admin

Post by Gmemg » Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:06 pm

The "trademark" made £950 the Horn apparently for it made £110 ( a very ambiguous price as a genuine one would have made a LOT more and a repro a lot less !)

so not bad - at least the CLPGS Ring didn't get everything for £5 !

Return to “General Forum”