BBC Radio 4 - Out of the Ordinary "Whistling"

For Any Discsussion on the Subject
Gmemg
Site Admin

BBC Radio 4 - Out of the Ordinary "Whistling"

Post by Gmemg » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:22 pm

This is a very interesting and informative series - the others have been most interesting and amusing but the latest one broadcast to-day had me nearly falling off my chair (my feet were on my Desk again) it concerned "Whistling" and by that i don;t mean Butcher's Boys & Lamplighters and other Victorian figures not frequently seen in North Oxford these days but actually people whistling works of the classical repertoire !

The presenter Joylon Jenkins is a very laconic character and however loonie the people he interviews always keeps a straight face and so they say the oddest but most enlightening things to him - the saddest thing is that they rather skipped over the history of Whistling - most have come across records by Charles Capper, Guido Gialdini etc and some by rarer People Such as Geog Tramer - Kunst Pfieffer and none of them were mentioned or their early recordings which were taken seriously and not as a Joke !

Listen here and do look at the other programmes in this and previous series as they are MOST interesting

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09sqvxt
Estott : "An Ancient Half - Mad Uncle "

My U - Tube Channel is : http://www.youtube.com/user/EMGColonel

Corruption in the CLPGS :
The Seven Social Sins are:
Wealth without work. Pleasure without conscience. Knowledge without character .Commerce without morality. Science without humanity. Worship without sacrifice. Politics without principle.

Money. Greed. Naivety. Falsehoods. Exploitation. Welcome to the wonderful world of gramophones!

"He has as much comedic talent as the Straight man on a Linguaphone record "
Si vis pacem, para bellum Der Morgige Tag Ist Mein

Return to “General Forum”