How to make an HMV no 4 equal to a meltrope 3

For Any Discsussion on the Subject
Gmemg
Site Admin

How to make an HMV no 4 equal to a meltrope 3

Post by Gmemg » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:47 pm

Over the Xmas period despite the Guests & entertaining i did have some time to experiment and found it was possible to make an HMV no 4 Soundbox equal, and in some ways superior to a Meltrope 3 soundbox !

This will ONLY work with the Brass Backed No 4's but is well worth trying - the HMV NO 4 soundbox (and No 2) suffer from having very stiff metal re - inforced Rubber back connectors and even if they are re - built as a soundbox the backs are still far too stiff and inflexible so i decided to take the back fitting out and replaced it with a new meltrope rubber back - the difference in sound quality was astonishing !

I did a test playing a record with a re - built box BUT with the original back then with a re - built no 4 with a replaced back then a Meltrope 3, the tests proved that whilst a re - built no 4 was Good a Re - built no 4 with new back was vastly superior so as a control i played the same worn record with a Meltrope 3 and found that the sound was louder and in some ways clearer it ws marred by the much increased surface noise which the No 4 with new back filtered out almost completely

I used a worn electrically recorded record as the worn parts provide distortion which is enhanced by some soundboxes and is a very good test for them and the NNo 4 with new back really coped well with unlike the old back no 4 and was actually enhanced by the Meltrope 3

here's the test

https://youtu.be/f_71PymB1Z8
Estott : "An Ancient Half - Mad Uncle "

My U - Tube Channel is : http://www.youtube.com/user/EMGColonel

Corruption in the CLPGS :
The Seven Social Sins are:
Wealth without work. Pleasure without conscience. Knowledge without character .Commerce without morality. Science without humanity. Worship without sacrifice. Politics without principle.

Money. Greed. Naivety. Falsehoods. Exploitation. Welcome to the wonderful world of gramophones!

"He has as much comedic talent as the Straight man on a Linguaphone record "
Si vis pacem, para bellum Der Morgige Tag Ist Mein

rgodridge

Re: How to make an HMV no 4 equal to a meltrope 3

Post by rgodridge » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:57 am

WOW!
This is something I'm going to see about doing myself, off down stairs to make tea and have a look at my own no 4.

Gmemg
Site Admin

Re: How to make an HMV no 4 equal to a meltrope 3

Post by Gmemg » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:37 am

It's so simple really the original HMV backs are even in good condition far too still and the edge which should snugly fit over the tonearm is almost always shrunk so that almost all of the bass response is lost

by taking out the two screws and removing the rubber insert (only with a brass back box) and replacing with a meltrope rubber of any of the same size you give the tonearm a proper insulation from vibrations from the soundbox and retain all of the sound from the record but being an HMV no 4 it filters the surface nose often heard with a meltrope or EMG/ expert box

simple but very effective
Estott : "An Ancient Half - Mad Uncle "

My U - Tube Channel is : http://www.youtube.com/user/EMGColonel

Corruption in the CLPGS :
The Seven Social Sins are:
Wealth without work. Pleasure without conscience. Knowledge without character .Commerce without morality. Science without humanity. Worship without sacrifice. Politics without principle.

Money. Greed. Naivety. Falsehoods. Exploitation. Welcome to the wonderful world of gramophones!

"He has as much comedic talent as the Straight man on a Linguaphone record "
Si vis pacem, para bellum Der Morgige Tag Ist Mein

Return to “General Forum”