Another Bank Holiday - Another Clearance

For Any Discsussion on the Subject
Gmemg
Site Admin

Another Bank Holiday - Another Clearance

Post by Gmemg » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:23 pm

For most sane people a Bank Holiday is a time for relaxation, DIY or spending time with the family but for collectors or former dealers it's often a time for a lot of hard, dirty and sometimes rather dangerous WORK

Early last week i was contacted by an Antiques Dealer who told me of a house he'd been invited by a solicitor to clear in which the only things he wanted were a "Welsh Dresser" and a Long Case clock but the rest was as he put it :

"up for grabs" and "Lots of gramophones and rolls" (Cylinders)

So last Thursday "the Squire" and i went to see and met the dealer 1/2 an hour after he had got there on his recommendation as it needed "airing " he wasn't wrong ! It was a perfectly standard 1930's semi in reasonable condition from the outside but pretty awful inside but worse was to come - the downstairs front room had a number of Diamond Disc machines and loads of diamond Discs all heaped up around them obviously unplayed for a LONG time to judge by the dust on them ! and the back room had loads of pretty boring standard plywood sided cabinet machines of very little interest to anyone

The Kitchen was in an extension with a very leaky roof and the "welsh dresser" of C 1740 looked ok until moved and the whole back fell away due to the damp - the dealer wasn't amused alas there were dozens of phonographs there - mostly apparently complete but in such poor condition now only fit for parts - i did extract the remains of a Class M Edison machine - worth a LOT of money mint but requiring a new case not quite as valuable ! there were also a LOT of Blue Amberols but the damp had swollen the plaster cores and almost all had split and some were so distorted as to resemble roses ! there was a box of Brown Wax cylinders out in a shed - they were shorter than normal ones but as i tried to remove it from the box with the greatest care it just fall to pieces as did all the others in the same box - what they were we'll now never know as even the slips of paper inside the cylinders had multicolour mould
on them !
Out in the lean to sheds & wooden garage it was my turn to be unhappy as the few machines of interest were there and in very poor conditions damp, rot, and woodworm were some of the problems and so the work began - i had arranged with an overseas buyer to come to the house to buy anything he might be interested in and he took most of the cabinet machines in the house and the Class M for a very fair price and after he left "the Squire" and i stripped anything of use from the remaining cases and Burned the rest (Some wouldn't even burn)

I managed to fall down the stairs at the place due to a rotten carpet "the Squire" had warned me of earlier and smashed a box of record s- oddly enough apart from the Diamond Discs there were NO records of interest at all - none, most seemed to have been found in skips

In the End i made a handsome profit on it all and have 6 OK condition Diamond Disc machines a couple of decent Cabinet Victors, a lot of Diamond discs (a lot had swollen up from damp and were just dumped) but on the way home i mused about all this stuff - why did anyone accumulate such stuff ? it wasn't a collection it was just an accumulation with a very few items of interest found seemingly at random and then to store it all in such conditions as to amek most of it worthless in the end defies explanation - so whilst most people were having a pleasant weekend we were in a filthy damp house working hard to sort rubbish- i do wonder why do i bother !
Estott : "An Ancient Half - Mad Uncle "

My U - Tube Channel is : http://www.youtube.com/user/EMGColonel

Corruption in the CLPGS :
The Seven Social Sins are:
Wealth without work. Pleasure without conscience. Knowledge without character .Commerce without morality. Science without humanity. Worship without sacrifice. Politics without principle.

Money. Greed. Naivety. Falsehoods. Exploitation. Welcome to the wonderful world of gramophones!

"He has as much comedic talent as the Straight man on a Linguaphone record "
Si vis pacem, para bellum Der Morgige Tag Ist Mein

Gmemg
Site Admin

Re: Another Bank Holiday - Another Clearance

Post by Gmemg » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:24 pm

i do have a number of machines from that lot BUT at the moment they are "iaring" and will have to be left for at least a couple of weeks and them most will probably have to be serviced (at least ) BUT i have

A Mk Xb EMG - POOR condition Horn with a hole in it where it was under a leak for many years ! and case needing some veneer work & repolish (Clockwork motor untested ) NO soundbox as is - £1600

2 Vicotr cabinet machines of the smaller variety complete & working but needing a good polish

Several HMV Cabinet machines including :

an HMV 157 (5a S/B) - £110
an HMV 162 (Veneer on side very damp) - £50
an HMV 192 ( Ok but i think a broken spring ) - £50

HMV 510 Lumiere - Lumiere diaphragm Perfect but case lid needing considerable work & one leg damaged by dog's gnashers ! - £400

Very grand Mahogany Aeolian vocalion complete a with perfect tonearm but with repaired back leg - £120

Cliftophone Tabletop needing a clean but complete with gilt tonearm - £80

6 various smaller cabinet Edison Diamond disc machines - built like Tanks and all workign & Complete but a couple with grille's needing careful glueing aeach will come with a selection of records - all under £100 each

probably between 50 - 80 Portable machines of all makes ranging from very simple to HMV 102's - all needing a clean & possible mechanical work

Wealth without work. Pleasure without conscience. Knowledge without character .Commerce without morality. Science without humanity. Worship without sacrifice. Politics without principle.

Money. Greed. Naivety. Falsehoods. Exploitation. Welcome to the wonderful world of gramophones!

Gmemg
Site Admin

Post by Gmemg » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:24 pm

"the squire" also points out that there are :

Gramophone Co "sheraton grand" with very distorted lid, later version with internal thread handle (Lid now drying out under heaps of 78s - £200 as is (including 78s)

Gram Co Model 12 "Squatting frog" in walnut - this example NOT Squatting with two broken legs of which one will need a complete replacement unless you want to prop it up against a wall - £200 as is

HMV Model 14 with Bowed sides & front - requires complete refinish and work to HMV 34 motor - £100 as is

HMV no 261 tabletop mint inside but all veneer peeling outside - £100

Jedson triphonic cabinet machine with large motor & saxophone horn - requires good clean but amazing sound from it - £80

In some ways better than a "proudie" sale !

Gmemg
Site Admin

Post by Gmemg » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:25 pm

The Squire Replied :

Greetings from The Squire ,
Well to misquote a well known TV series " That was the weekend that was " , I had a really good time and found some extraordinary items of great rarity including a large Radio Gram , one of only two that were made by My late Grandfathers company in Oxford . It has two cabinets one has the gram , the radio , and record storage . The second one which is about seven feet long , has the loudspeaker in the middle and book cases each end , made in 1932 . Then there was the Russian model with the solid silver horn , and the Ebonised auto no 1 with gold plated fittings and ormolu mounts . I have had to put other items in storage ,until I can make room for them .
All the Best from Wild and Woolly West Oxfordshire .

Gmemg
Site Admin

Post by Gmemg » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:25 pm

SOLID silver Horn ? I looked VERY carefully at that and despite the dirt & poor light i couldn't see any silver marks of any kind (plenty of dents) but if it is silver than it was (despite the price) a real bargain ! and as usual you can't know everything and things can go unobserved when under pressure .

I had forgotten the Oak cabinets as we took them out on the first day but glad that they did turn out to e from Greenings after all

Amazing - a silver horn ! how annoying i didn't spot that - i must be getting old - but it was a great weekend - apart from me falling down the stairs it went very well !

You didn't spot my camera in any of the machines you had ? i can't find it and have been asked for pictures of the above for sale and can't find it - please let me know if you find it - thanks

Return to “General Forum”