is this a correct phonograph ?

For Any Discsussion on the Subject
Holographicreg

is this a correct phonograph ?

Post by Holographicreg » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:06 pm

hello i am thinking of buying this phonograph now, is there anything you can tell please about this

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-orig ... SwGAhbd-9K

MissMySwiss

Re: is this a correct phonograph ?

Post by MissMySwiss » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:31 pm

Looks like the horn was wildy repainted to my eyes. Otherwise it seems to be a typical swiss machine made for abroad markets. Not sure if the soundbox is the orginal one as there's no decal on the machine but it is old enough to be contemporary . 325 GBP might be a bit high for a no name machine, but some others will tell you what they think as well.

Gmemg
Site Admin

Post by Gmemg » Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:31 pm

No, it's not a phonograph but a gramophone - pedantic but it WON'T play cylinders ! but if you want one to play 78s (and NOT vinyl lps) then yes it will but as has been stated it's a very "bog Standard" Swiss/ german machine probably from the 1920's and the horn paint is not only not authentic but horrific as well which with all that taken into account makes it rather expensive to - day

a decent, restored mechanically but un - named / branded authentic ordinary Horn machine should cost you approx £250 unless you want something by a well known or collectable maker in which case the price would rise

it all depends on what you want and what you want to play on it but whatever carefully consider and don't buy the first machine you see on ebay (it's unlikely you'll see a genuine machine in a shop )

Hope that helps
Estott : "An Ancient Half - Mad Uncle "

My U - Tube Channel is : http://www.youtube.com/user/EMGColonel

Corruption in the CLPGS :
The Seven Social Sins are:
Wealth without work. Pleasure without conscience. Knowledge without character .Commerce without morality. Science without humanity. Worship without sacrifice. Politics without principle.

Money. Greed. Naivety. Falsehoods. Exploitation. Welcome to the wonderful world of gramophones!

"He has as much comedic talent as the Straight man on a Linguaphone record "
Si vis pacem, para bellum Der Morgige Tag Ist Mein

Holographicreg

Post by Holographicreg » Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:56 pm

a gramophone is what i want so this one is no good ? but is it just the price ? can i find one as nice looking cheaper ?

Gmemg
Site Admin

Post by Gmemg » Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:40 pm

YES, you can find ones which are much more authentic for less money - it's not 1989 any more and collectors are much more informed and discerning and the market for over - restored dull, boring machines is mostly gone - alas some CLPGS Members such as the Vendor don't seem to have realised this and keep re - listing this sort of thing time and again hoping for "Mug" to buy which i doubt will happen now
Estott : "An Ancient Half - Mad Uncle "

My U - Tube Channel is : http://www.youtube.com/user/EMGColonel

Corruption in the CLPGS :
The Seven Social Sins are:
Wealth without work. Pleasure without conscience. Knowledge without character .Commerce without morality. Science without humanity. Worship without sacrifice. Politics without principle.

Money. Greed. Naivety. Falsehoods. Exploitation. Welcome to the wonderful world of gramophones!

"He has as much comedic talent as the Straight man on a Linguaphone record "
Si vis pacem, para bellum Der Morgige Tag Ist Mein

Return to “General Forum”