gmemg (aka the colonel)'s collection

For Any Discsussion on the Subject
rgodridge

gmemg (aka the colonel)'s collection

Post by rgodridge » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:09 am

I don’t really know where to start. As most of you will be aware, Stephen- AKA the EMGColonel- passed away at the beginning of this year. Within the last few days, I’ve found out that he left me a vast collection of 78s, as well as a sizeable amount of cylinders. I don’t know exactly what’s there, and have no idea of the numbers involved yet, but if it’s anything like what I’m imagining I’m going to have to sell quite a lot of what I own now.
These will be a range of genres, there’ll probably be something most of you would be interested in, so keep an eye on my future posts. Depending on what’s there I also might be selling some of what I’ve been left, because I don’t keep anything I’ll never play... I can’t be any more specific about that yet, until I know exactly what I’m dealing with.
If I’m honest all this has completely stunned me, I had no idea he’d done it, which is part of the reason I haven’t said anything publicly until now... What really floored me was that he actually put in his will he wanted me to digitise as much of the early acoustic stuff as I can! now that is one heck of a project...
This weekend I'll go down to his house and have a look round. In a couple of weeks an auction company will clear his house, with specific instructions to leave me all the music & let me go through it before I decide what's to be done with it. We're talking many thousands of records here and a lot of it will end up in large lots I should imagine, but there are definitely some, perhaps many rarities such as Berliner discs and other early stuff. His machines will go to auction.
Basicly, what I know rite now is I have a rediculous amount of records to look through, will probably need storage and will sell stuff to offset that cost. Early next week I will have more of an idea...

donjohnson24

Re: gmemg (aka the colonel)'s collection

Post by donjohnson24 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:02 pm

I was only involved with helping with his website, but from what I've seen here in the past you seem eminently suitable to receive the Colonel's collection - congratulations!
After you've visited to see what is there, just to satisfy our curiosity, could you perhaps let us know where is is stored, and whether it is just at his parent's home as others have claimed.

rgodridge

Post by rgodridge » Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:29 pm

Update
This is looking as though it could be almost prohibitively expencive to store all this, and there is a fairly small window of time involved (7 weeks or so).
The auction house will not be taking any of the music and will leave it in the house. IN a way this is good, it means I don't have to deal with a middleman, but it does limit how much time I have. I'm looking at storage in the regen of £200 a month for the amount I'd need, and if I can't make that pay for itself I'll have to make some quite hard decisions,
so, apart from making cds of it, I have other ideas to offset the cost. One of which is a gofundme to get this stuff recorded and saved for posterity, and for uk residents this could include free records of a genre you like, picked out at random, according to how much is donated. The other ideas are have people pick through what I don't want at a set price per disc.
I thought long and hard before writing this here by the way. I'm a collector, not a dealer, but this is a daunting amount of money involved and frankly there's a chance I might not be able to afford to do this justice, which would mean enormous lots at auctions and the rarities would probably never see the light of day!
If you want to hear examples of my digitisation, go to http://www.youtube.com/user/djoutrage18

/Don, when I go down this weekend I'll have photos taken. I don't know who's home it was as his parents are both dead but I believe this is his parents home. It's in Daventry but he had (it's now empty) a storage unit in milton keans, all a bit odd, but I believe his parents home (who's ever this house was) was the one that had building work done, see
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkVfBEnzAbY

One thing I can say for sure is his collection was every bit as large as he said... a garage and house full.

simo

Post by simo » Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:39 am

congratulations rob,i can,t think of anyone more qualified to try and do the colonels collection of records justice.....and whats even more remarkable is that you are blind.i think one of the biggest problems is manpower in moving the stuff....i wish you all the best with this monumental project.

rgodridge

Post by rgodridge » Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:40 am

Thanks for the good wishes I will need them! At the moment it could either be that all the stuff I don't want gets auctioned in enormous lots or I store it somewhere or other, I can see there being enormous amounts of records I will have to dispose of somehow soon and will keep members here posted!

TheAustralianComrade

Post by TheAustralianComrade » Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:41 pm

Hello all,
The news of the colonels passing has come as quite a shock. He was a very unique and knowledgeable individual of whom I’m sure we all held a high regard of. May he Rest In Peace, But as said by himself “ For this life is penny plain, when the next one is tuppence coloured”. May he be entertaining those up there in the sky.

Rob, he has definitely chosen the right individual for the job to digitise these recordings. Your digitisations are of an equal If not better quality than those produced onto cd’s by the “professionals”. I wish you all the luck with this enormous endeavour, but do not envy the massive job of moving all those records, it’s enough to move a hundred, let alone thousands. If I lived a bit closer rather than on the opposite side of the globe I’d be more than happy to help in the movement in all of them.

On a side note, Daventry is quite a considerable distance from North oxford/ Summertown/ beside Blenheim palace where the colonel often alluded to live, how bizarre. Well another mystery of many.

Condolences and best wishes,
Maverick

rgodridge

Post by rgodridge » Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:57 pm

this is going to be a long post but read to the botom for my tribute to him,

I went down there on satterday, stayed the night and came back with, well, a lot of records!

I now have a key and can take what I want when I want record-wise, however most of his 78s were in his garage and that is full of rubbish, furnature and gramophones, which an auction house is going to be dealing with. Issues with the executor of Stephen's will mean that has been postponed (executor through the baby out with the bathwater and jacked the entire thing in) and nobody, including the solicitor, has any idea when that will happen. Until it happens I have taken a couple of thousand operatic rarities, 7 7" berliner discs, loads of early interesting stuff etc back this time and have a lot of boxes with my name literally on them (taped bits of paper) for next time, as well as his 4000+ collection of handmade albums of what I think are rare labels and stuff he was proud to own which I'll bring to my parents garage (no room left here) next week.

re: him living in Daventry:
He had a storage place in milton keans and I believe this house was originally his parents house, and that he originally lived in oxford. It's not really all that far, an hour between the two perhaps, and definitely travelled that route often, that's how it seems to me.

here is a tribute, I think he'd have liked my picking this record!
https://youtu.be/xqkt69M266k
Well, here we go...
I thought this a fitting tribute to the emg colonel who's collection I'm slowly dealing with, I miss him!

simo

Post by simo » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:44 am

if the executor has "thrown the towel in" i do hope the solicitor will not utilise the services of any of the rogue dealers /auction houses that mis-sold and mysteriously misplaced the roger thorn collection.i hope somebody is keeping an eye on stephen's last wishes.

rgodridge

Post by rgodridge » Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:27 pm

the solicitor won't do that, it states in Stephen's will where they are to be auctioned, and I have some control over what goes to auction.

simo

Post by simo » Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:32 am

thats reassuring Rob.....it must be nice to know that the colonel trusted you so much and,...as we all have said " you are the right man for the job"

rgodridge

Post by rgodridge » Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:26 pm

I erge anyone here who has not done so, please subscribe to my youtube channel, the amount of work I will have to do and recordings I will upload will be insane, not only Stephen's but another collection I'm dealing with at the moment. Stephen wanted this stuff to be out there and by heavens it will!
http://www.youtube.com/user/djoutrage18

Return to “General Forum”