Raisin record Cabinet C 1910

Gmemg
Site Admin

Raisin record Cabinet C 1910

Post by Gmemg » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:43 pm

I am rather interested inn record storage(yes, i know ) and in the early days record storage was rather innovative, this is one of the most interesting - I found this in a collection i bought recently, i picked it up and it fell apart ! but luckily it's sectional so not a "roger Thorne " moment ! (there are eight sections here+ another i found with it's front broken off now being repaired) and yes The Preceptory Grass needs cutting, i had a test drive on a motor mower and only managed to knock two statues over and crack the plinth of a third after which i gave up before i crashed the thing into the Duck pond !

Raisin Jones were a large Gramophone & record shop which sold not only high quality HMV machines but also made their own record storage systems - the records are stored flat presumably to reduce the possibility of warping

each section has oak sides and a plywood top & base and have iron spiked in the top to locate another section or a top on, they could be used as either a pedestal as here (of almost any hight) or as part of a filing system.

the top on the pedestal has a fitted drawer for accessories - well a spare soundbox and a needle tin perhaps !

here's an original advert C 1910 for the pedestal

and one for use as part of a "library" (Yes, that is a model 12 in the background)

astonishingly amongst the collection of records which came with the machines & pedestal i found a number of the original "raisin Jones" record sleeves with the original contents as annotated

here are some inside the "drawer" showing the raisin jones label

apparently one turned up in the Roger Thorne sale missing the inner drawers and only having 6 sections - Proudie didn't know what it was ! but it still made over £300
Estott : "An Ancient Half - Mad Uncle "

My U - Tube Channel is : http://www.youtube.com/user/EMGColonel

Corruption in the CLPGS :
The Seven Social Sins are:
Wealth without work. Pleasure without conscience. Knowledge without character .Commerce without morality. Science without humanity. Worship without sacrifice. Politics without principle.

Money. Greed. Naivety. Falsehoods. Exploitation. Welcome to the wonderful world of gramophones!

"He has as much comedic talent as the Straight man on a Linguaphone record "
Si vis pacem, para bellum Der Morgige Tag Ist Mein

Return to “Record Storage,”