interview with long time collector Alan about, well, everything

rgodridge

interview with long time collector Alan about, well, everything

Post by rgodridge » Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:18 pm

Enspired by the colonel I thought me and alan would ramble on, it turned out for an hour and half, about all kinds of subjects, from how to get into 78s to mono vs stereo on lps
https://youtu.be/96rh8pziPvo

Gmemg
Site Admin

Re: interview with long time collector Alan about, well, everything

Post by Gmemg » Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:02 pm

What a fantastic Video ! My thanks to Rob & Allan for such an interesting talk ! i would like to make a few comments, points & observations on what was said ( this is an expanded version of my comment on the video ) ;

"Cylinders were very expensive in the 1960's " YES they were - i wasn't about then but the collectors i know who were say exactly the same thing - people at the time said that they were "impossibly old" and were VERY rare & Very Valuable as were phonographs, i only found ONE box of cylinders in an Antiques shop in all the years i looked and they were so mouldy as to be unusable. I knew a girl at University who went on to be an assistant curator in a Northern Museum and she took me to their stores - a very tatty barn in the middle of nowhere where whole house clearances of stuff had been stored after being donated in the 1960's and 70's and it was just mouldering away unsorted on shelves, furniture, pictures, industrial items all sorts of stuff - at that time i had seen VERY few Edison or any other Phonographs but in that barn they had at least 100 from many Gems & all sorts of German & continental cheap machines to at least one Opera all deteriorating as were thousands of cylinders just heaped up in baskets & boxes - that was the early 1990s and it may all sill be there or may have been sold who knows !

"CLPGS" collectors - yes i call the "Squirrels" as they squirrel it all away and it's not seen until they die and then their collections are carefully gone through or looted by their "friends" and it was Me who has had a number of abusive messages on U - Tube about sharing old recordings and even Mild Mannered CLPGS members such as Alastair said things like :

"We're giving a lot of information away on these Forums dear chap - is that a Piccillydickilly record ? "

And i agree a lot of these people are JUST interested in the "value "of this stuff and their Vain boast of :

"I've got he only Copy"

I wonder if J Paul Getty cared about the Value of his records - certainly he lost a fortune on his at the sale !

"Everything should be out there for FREE" that's the motto of my channel and my whole philosophy - i own the records but not the recording and it should be out there at the touch of a button

Resin copies of records - i haven't had any but i think it's a great idea and i wish those who do this every success but do think that 3d Printers are up to the job of printing 78s and that really will be the future - imagine having a copy of a Fonotipia sent to you via email - printing it off , playing it and when worn out simply printing another !

"CLPGS membership is going up modestly" i don;t believe it - it's something they say but the truth is VERY Different - the membership is in severe decline and after reading their woeful Mag - Where's the Spring issue ? most new members drop out

"Nobody Likes surface noise" Well, as the founder of the Oxford University Gramophone CLub i can tell you at the first meeting i started to play a 78rpm record only for all but two of those present to leave because they hated the surface noise !

Vinyl 78s - I have 3 original late 1930's experimental HMV DA Series 78s pressed by HMV in Vinyl and they are fantastic - they came form the Roger Thorne collection and even Proudie couldn't find anyone who knew anything about them

jazz collectors - I find they are like sheep and although they all think they are individuals and "Free spirited" they all agree with the Mainstream View of any jazz 78

Gramophones - I think you should have a gramophone for every decade of recording and one for every type of dis - a Pathe for Pathe's A Diamond Disc for them and an HMV and Columbia solely for playing their records no record will sound as good on the competitors machines - i think fashion is abig player in value of any "Antique" i went to college Long after the broadcast but he influence of the TV series "Brideshead Revisited" cannot be underestimated as Portable gramophones, teddies, and Oxford Bags suddenly became very much in demand and didn't go out of fashion until the millennium
Estott : "An Ancient Half - Mad Uncle "

My U - Tube Channel is : http://www.youtube.com/user/EMGColonel

Corruption in the CLPGS :
The Seven Social Sins are:
Wealth without work. Pleasure without conscience. Knowledge without character .Commerce without morality. Science without humanity. Worship without sacrifice. Politics without principle.

Money. Greed. Naivety. Falsehoods. Exploitation. Welcome to the wonderful world of gramophones!

"He has as much comedic talent as the Straight man on a Linguaphone record "
Si vis pacem, para bellum Der Morgige Tag Ist Mein

rgodridge

Post by rgodridge » Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:10 am

I'm glad you enjoyed that, there should be more!
He has some interesting views on things like this, and they're not dissimilar to my own!
Very interesting comments especially about cylinders, I imagined them to at least have been findable in those days! but I guess people realised they weren't being made any more and thought them of great value simply for that reason.
Yes, it was you I was refering to about the abusive messages just for putting stuff out there.

Gmemg
Site Admin

Post by Gmemg » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:01 pm

I and several others i know would welcome more of the same - Alan's views are very interesting, even if some think he's actually "uncle Ken" himself as an "alternative Person" !
Estott : "An Ancient Half - Mad Uncle "

My U - Tube Channel is : http://www.youtube.com/user/EMGColonel

Corruption in the CLPGS :
The Seven Social Sins are:
Wealth without work. Pleasure without conscience. Knowledge without character .Commerce without morality. Science without humanity. Worship without sacrifice. Politics without principle.

Money. Greed. Naivety. Falsehoods. Exploitation. Welcome to the wonderful world of gramophones!

"He has as much comedic talent as the Straight man on a Linguaphone record "
Si vis pacem, para bellum Der Morgige Tag Ist Mein

Return to “General Discussion,”