How Records SHOULD be Packed !

Gmemg
Site Admin

How Records SHOULD be Packed !

Post by Gmemg » Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:54 pm

I often write about wallies who pack records in boxes which have less strength than a paper bag or people who send 78s in Brown Envelopes but to - day something new happened

Someone ACTUALLY packed some records not only properly but, in fact to excess !

I am delighted they did so as the records involved were VERY Valuable & rare indeed - a set of "The Dream of Gerontius" (Newman - Elgar) recorded in 1924 i bought them from ebay expecting them to be VERY expensive as only 2 sets had turned up in the last 30 years that i knew of one in the first Roger Thorne Sale, complete without album and another subsequently in another sale incomplete but with album - both had made over £100

It's a real bit of history and although not a complete recording it was apparently "Supervised" by Elgar (who was under contract to HMV ) - why a company such as Edison bell should make such an odd set at all is a mystery and then as it was Acoustic it became obsolete very quickly and was withdrawn fairly soon after issue

I was somewhat concerned it might be packed carelessly so asked if it could be packed well and offered to pay for that

When it arrived i was astonished - not only a substantial Box BUT every record individually wrapped in bubblewrap and then packed in cardboard - i initially had a shock as there were two copies of the second disc ..............i thought that one had been bought in error so i didn't have a complete set BUT it's a duplicate - why ?

The first record was chipped as described in the listing BUT i actually, by sheer co - incidence have a spare copy from "The Squire's" Collection so i do have a complete set

Here is how it arrived :

carefully wrapped Record

The Album Cover

Estott : "An Ancient Half - Mad Uncle "

My U - Tube Channel is : http://www.youtube.com/user/EMGColonel

Corruption in the CLPGS :
The Seven Social Sins are:
Wealth without work. Pleasure without conscience. Knowledge without character .Commerce without morality. Science without humanity. Worship without sacrifice. Politics without principle.

Money. Greed. Naivety. Falsehoods. Exploitation. Welcome to the wonderful world of gramophones!

"He has as much comedic talent as the Straight man on a Linguaphone record "
Si vis pacem, para bellum Der Morgige Tag Ist Mein

Return to “General Discussion,”