Maxitone Catalogue 1937/8

Gmemg
Site Admin

Maxitone Catalogue 1937/8

Post by Gmemg » Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:43 pm

These are just the Gramophone pages from that catalogue as they sold all sorts of other things like Banjos and Harmonicas which are irrelevant here :

The Soundboxes including some Meltrope Variants

The Portable Gramophones

(One says "made under licence for HMV " alas not illustrated - I wonder what that was ?

Image 3

The Cabinet Machines - VERY Art Deco (I've never seen any )

Columbia Portables oddly sold by Maxitone

Image 6

Decca Portables

Accessories

One for CLPGS Pedants - Bags & envelopes !

Estott : "An Ancient Half - Mad Uncle "

My U - Tube Channel is : http://www.youtube.com/user/EMGColonel

Corruption in the CLPGS :
The Seven Social Sins are:
Wealth without work. Pleasure without conscience. Knowledge without character .Commerce without morality. Science without humanity. Worship without sacrifice. Politics without principle.

Money. Greed. Naivety. Falsehoods. Exploitation. Welcome to the wonderful world of gramophones!

"He has as much comedic talent as the Straight man on a Linguaphone record "
Si vis pacem, para bellum Der Morgige Tag Ist Mein

donjohnson24

Re: Maxitone Catalogue 1937/8

Post by donjohnson24 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:02 pm

As someone who has only a curiosity about gramophones rather than any depth of knowledge, I was surprised to see how many different Sound Boxes were available in the catalogue; there is even a Showcase for an owner with multiple items from which to choose. Can you please enlighten a layman - in general terms - what differences the Boxes were supposed (claimed ?) to make to the playing of records. Thanks.

Gmemg
Site Admin

Post by Gmemg » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:05 pm

That's a good question - there are quite a variety of soundboxes in this catalogue and as i've not seem most of them can only assume some were Mica diaphragm and some metal - i suppose the simplest way of answering your question is that some soundboxes give a better sound with certain types of recording and on certain types of machine

A mica diaphragm soundbox will play an acoustic record perfectly well on a portable machine with a short and simple horn but will not be as good playing an electrically recorded record so you would need a metal diaphram soundbox and the same applies to a cheap, simple cabinet machine as compared with an expensive one with a complicated horn

Oddly there are several Meltrope 3's discussed here at different prices and one is described as a "De Luxe" soundbox what that means and how that affected the sound i just don't know !

Wealth without work. Pleasure without conscience. Knowledge without character .Commerce without morality. Science without humanity. Worship without sacrifice. Politics without principle.

Money. Greed. Naivety. Falsehoods. Exploitation. Welcome to the wonderful world of gramophones!

donjohnson24

Post by donjohnson24 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:03 pm

Thank you, Colonel.

Gmemg
Site Admin

Post by Gmemg » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:41 pm

Reading it back i'm not sure that's as clear an answer as i can make it as i don't know all the soundboxes shown in the catalogue and the cheapest may not have been any worse or less clear sounding than the expensive ones - after all the Meltrope 3 was a mass produced box used on many many of the cheaper or cheaper constructed brands to compensate for the often poor quality construction of the machine but also used on the TOP models of most ranges as well !

Return to “Machine Catalogues & Adverts,”