Peter Dawson Becomes "Hector Grant"

Gmemg
Site Admin

Peter Dawson Becomes "Hector Grant"

Post by Gmemg » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:59 pm

(I would photo these pages BUT then Rob wouldn't be able to read them so i will write out all future anecdotes from the book)

"At the Gramophone Co one day i gave an imitation of Lauder singing " I love a Lassie" , i was astonished at the reaction among the recording staff . Fred Gaisberg , the chief , came up to me exitedly and said :

"Peter, can you do any more like that ?" I mean can you sing "scottish " ?

I was amused by the the way the Little American put it and answered :

"Yes, of course, i can sing all his songs including "Stop yer Tickling Jock " and "We parted on the Shore" Don't forget i'm a Scot by Birth !

A Little later he asked me what i thought of the idea of singing Lauder's songs for the Zonophone Co under another name, In response to my argument that it might ruin my future if ti became known i was assured that no one would suspect that a singer of Lauder's rollicking Scottish songs could be Peter Dawson I promised them a decision in 24 hrs . At Home . chatting it over with my Wife we both agreed that with a lean summer ahead it would help our finances. So i recorded Lauder's songs and they were a great success

The sales are terrific so they said "we want more" so to my astonishment i found myself saying :

"Don;t worry I'll write some "

by this time of course i had assumed a name for these songs - it was "Hector Grant"

It was whilst writing these songs that the idea came to me : "Why not take up the identity of Hector grant and fill in a few weeks on the Music Halls as a Scottish Comedian ? i could wear a Wig, False side whiskers Bushy Eyebrows , and keep up my Scottish Accent and no one would recognise me as Peter Dawson

In the meantime i was busy writing songs , one of them "Lassie Dinna sigh for me" sold more records than Lauder's !
Estott : "An Ancient Half - Mad Uncle "

My U - Tube Channel is : http://www.youtube.com/user/EMGColonel

Corruption in the CLPGS :
The Seven Social Sins are:
Wealth without work. Pleasure without conscience. Knowledge without character .Commerce without morality. Science without humanity. Worship without sacrifice. Politics without principle.

Money. Greed. Naivety. Falsehoods. Exploitation. Welcome to the wonderful world of gramophones!

"He has as much comedic talent as the Straight man on a Linguaphone record "
Si vis pacem, para bellum Der Morgige Tag Ist Mein

Return to “Extracts from "Fifty Years of Song" by Peter Dawson”