SAS 18th of September 2018 "Woodworm Farming"

Gmemg
Site Admin

SAS 18th of September 2018 "Woodworm Farming"

Post by Gmemg » Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:06 am

Well, another SAS Sale was held on Tuesday - the send day is of NO interest to me or, i suspect anyone else as some of the lots looked familiar from the last sale !

In this sale the records were rather a lacklustre bunch - where were the dozens of Berliners seen in most sales at SAS ? (Still in Somerset ?) the first lot with "Lots of G & T s" Made £340 which must have pleased Proudie - alas from then on most of the time he struggled to get a bid (Except from CLPGS Twit "Timmy 4 Garages " so see all on Ebay soon !) some Pathe lots went to "Hendon" (and again will soon be seen on ebay ) the Diamond Discs seemed rather out of favour despite some being described as being "Popular" or "jazz" so i can only assume those who actually want Diamond Discs doubted the description - a wise thing to do in a Proudie Sale !

One lot of 30 Welsh records made £5 which seems excessive - and yet the next made £80 - had the Welsh Buyer woken Up boyo ? even some (most struggled to get to £20) of the English Vocal records usually so cheap (for a very good reason as NO - ONE wants 15 copies of a Norman Allin classic) made anywhere between £30 - £80 which is astonishing - my informant had actually VIEWED the lots and so had others in the room who also were shaking their heads leading me to wonder what the Internet buyers will think upon receipt.

The Odeons & Fonotipia lots did mostly fairly poorly and i can only assume that was due to condition with the occasional lot actually making something worth while - again the cheap lots went to Timmy and will join the massed ranks of such things he has on Ebay - these were followed by the BVooks which went for nothing and one lot sold for £1 - Yes i thought that sort of bid had long been unacceptable to an Auctioneer but not at SAS !

The Only Serous records were the Two Grieg G & T's and one "G & T 35517 Cortège Nuptial Norvege" made £520 and the other " G & T 35510 II Au Printemps" made £1,000 and neither sold to Timmy - although "Cancer Sufferer Killer " Tim Was seen bidding despite being a self confessed "Wagnerian" most of the later Jazz and Label lots seemed to fare pretty poorly and some of the Music hall ones seemed a Givaway but then who in the room would want them as they probably either already have them

I know little about Cylinders and care less so to see lots making less than £1 per blue amberol seemed astonishing (especiallya s the rumour int he room was that they came from a collection formed in the 60s mostly from an ex - edison Dealer) - again the well know "dodgy Dulcephone on ebay Vendor " bought well and yet agin they will be seen on ebay where no Doubt 30 copies of "God be with You" and other hymns will circulate (Pun Intended) until someone ends up with them in the eternal game of Musical Cylinders which no one wants (whilst the Good Ones were divided up between the dealers LONG before the Auction)

The Machines were mostly the usual rag tag of junk from Sealers, junk from Collectors and junk from locals brought in on a Tuesday to SAS ( Witnessed by the Local "Trade" disgusted by Thomas Plankton's slobbering over the items !) but an Edison Fireside seemed cheap at £550 and an Edison Concert a good buy at £ 1500 but the (ahem) "Star" of the show was the "Melba With Stand" which made the astonishing sum of £5500 oi say astonishing as a well known Machine expert told me :

"The horn was terrible and there were concerns it might be a "Barry Williamson Special" but looked as awful in the room as in the pictures, the case was severely woodwormed and the "stand" had repro parts (from B & Q) overall a poor machine for the money unless you were thinking of setting up a Woodworm farm - i recently bought a Melba & Stand and it cost A LOT more than that price BUT is in excellent untouched condition came with it's Brass horn (Unpolished) Wicker case, a Flaxite horn and a Mahogany horn - i assume the last from another machine and had been with the same family since new - and THAT'S the difference (apart from the woodworm) !

But there was at least ONE bargain - an early EMG 2 Spring Soundbox at £220 which seems a gift with prices the way they are now but it was altogether a typical SAS Sale - junk, poor records in small lots with multiple Gramophone exchange copies, dealer reject Cylinders and machines the Internet cannot view - i often wonder what happens when the Internet buyers after paying the price, the comm and the courier think when they open the box marked SAS .....................................
Estott : "An Ancient Half - Mad Uncle "

My U - Tube Channel is : http://www.youtube.com/user/EMGColonel

Corruption in the CLPGS :
The Seven Social Sins are:
Wealth without work. Pleasure without conscience. Knowledge without character .Commerce without morality. Science without humanity. Worship without sacrifice. Politics without principle.

Money. Greed. Naivety. Falsehoods. Exploitation. Welcome to the wonderful world of gramophones!

"He has as much comedic talent as the Straight man on a Linguaphone record "
Si vis pacem, para bellum Der Morgige Tag Ist Mein

rgodridge

Re: SAS 18th of September 2018 "Woodworm Farming"

Post by rgodridge » Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:04 pm

I bought some incredible stuff inc a lot including 3 Eugene Straton g&ts for £22 the lot, I will comment further when I actually get them!
another thing to note, some of the records were very cheap because the audio did not work on the saleroom web site.

Gmemg
Site Admin

Post by Gmemg » Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:29 pm

I've spoken to several who did buy at that sale and others before it and alas for them it's the usual story - one or two decent records and a lot of what appear to be rejects from former sales or former buyers lumped in !

BUT they may be looking for very different things to you Rob and that's the point but they actually viewed and as i have told them :

"When you actually view a lot you've no excuse if , when you buy it you aren't happy "

All i can say is "Typical miserable CLPGS Members ! "

i still wonder what the buyer of the "Melba" thinks now they've got it home ...............................

Wealth without work. Pleasure without conscience. Knowledge without character .Commerce without morality. Science without humanity. Worship without sacrifice. Politics without principle.

Money. Greed. Naivety. Falsehoods. Exploitation. Welcome to the wonderful world of gramophones!

rgodridge

Post by rgodridge » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:59 pm

I now have my lots and here are a few obvservations
the music hall lots were very mixed condition wise, going to put loads of stuff on youtube in a bit but

several lots had two copies of the same record in one sleeve
a lot of rough condition stuff, hardly anything mint, however the jazz lots are another story entirely, 99% of that came from an incredible dealer's collection (the one I mentioned to the colonel on the phone) and are in his nice card sleeves and are in very nice clean condition
the vocal stuff is also e to mint as I expected
If you keep all the above in mind another tipical sas sale, and there's another music sale on the 16th
Knowing where the jazz stuff came from I do have my eye on some lots, however I will be more reserved when there are mixed lots offered.
Over all I'm very happy I must say! though the music hall lots were disapointing condition wise

Gmemg
Site Admin

Post by Gmemg » Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:34 pm

As i've said most lots at SAS are just Dealer's rejects or former buyer's rejects and just go round and round (and it comes out here) SAS should take the example of a lot of Auctioneers and stop holding "General " Sales - they're not worth the trouble for the amounts raised they should :

SORT and REJECT the junk and ONLY put together lots of items which a buyer will pay decent money for and get VALUE for money but alas like most inexperienced auctioneers they become mesmerized by NUMBERS rather than by quality but it's a nonsense as all they get is a reputation for junk "salted" with one or two items carefully placed (and mysteriously ALWAYS in the lot photo) to sell the lot. They should send out Proudie to sort out a collection and JUNK the majority before the saleroom - that is what ALL record dealers do, sort the % worth keeping then get someone in to clear the rest or dump the residue into Auction !

As a collector buying in Bulk used to be a good plan - it enabled you to buy wide range of genres and types of records but now it's just acting as a clearance service you PAY for ! The Roger Thorne sale was heavily sorted BUT the lots were excellent quality and of a decent size and as you found buying items from a known collection - which may not be of interest to others is still a better bet than buying Mixed lots My motto with internet buying has always been that :

"If the buyers in the room won't Bid then there's something wrong with it "

I haven't gone far wrong with that - and a lack of Audio on "the Saleroom" is mad - NO other Auction i have bought from Via the internet has ever had this problem so why at SAS - is it incompetence ? or is it that they don't want to help the internet buyer and make Dulcetto and the usual CLPGS Crooks pay more than the CLPGS minimum Bid - or could it be both !

I must admit an unintended consequence of the last Auction is my happiness - every time i now look at my MINT condition Melba i rejoice, so it cost money and a LOT more than the SAS example made BUT there's nothing wrong with it, i think finally i've "seen the Light"

SO

NO more incomplete /damaged machines however "interesting" or "Rare" as it's unlikely i will find the missing parts - it's easier to buy the BEST in working order and in excellent condition - so what if it COSTS in the long run it's cheap as i can use the machine from the moment it comes home

and peace of Mind is above price !

Return to “From The Salerooms”