"Hiawatha's wedding feast" Sam Coleridge Taylor

To share & appreciate any recordings or U - Tube Videos of any music of any period
Gmemg
Site Admin

"Hiawatha's wedding feast" Sam Coleridge Taylor

Post by Gmemg » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:25 pm

I heard an extract from this Cantata only on Monday in the radio 4 quiz "counterpoint" i couldn't name the song , which was most annoying indeed as i usually get the questions right and Victorian Composers" shouldn't have that many difficult questions ?

It turned out to be "Onaway Awake Beloved" from "Hiawatha's Wedding Feats" by Samuel Coleridge Taylor

a song i've seen on MANY records over the years and in my ignorance NEVER taken the trouble to play ! after a little research i was astonished to find that it was a great Victorian piece which was extremely popular and huge performances of it were given at the Royal Albert Hall up until World War 2

here's the 1930 performance in an exceptional restoration

https://youtu.be/V2tHUYb_fdI

here's the extract from Wiki mentioning some very familiar names to us record collectors

Starting in 1924, the trilogy, along with the Hiawatha Ballet Music, was presented in the Royal Albert Hall with scenery, costumes and dancing. The first such staging was conducted on 19 May 1924 by the composer's son Hiawatha Coleridge-Taylor[5] (who was born in 1900, at the height of the composer's fame).[7] These stagings, often conducted by Sir Malcolm Sargent, were presented for two weeks annually until the Second World War[3] and were attended by many thousands of people, including the Royal Family. Sargent became so associated with these "Hiawatha" performances that one chapter of one his biographies is called "The Wigwam Years".[12] Singers who appeared in these performances included Miriam Licette, Lilian Stiles-Allen, Elsie Suddaby, Harold Williams, Parry Jones , Frank Titterton,[13]William Boland and Chief OS-KE-NON-TON of the Mohawk tribe.[citation needed]

In 1930 Sargent recorded Hiawatha's Wedding Feast, with the Royal Choral Society and the Philharmonia Orchestra, with tenor soloist Richard Lewis; and The Death of Minnehaha with the same forces and Elsie Suddaby, George Baker and Howard Fry. The work has declined in popularity of recent years, but is still sometimes revived, such as a centenary performance in Boston in October 1998.[8]
Estott : "An Ancient Half - Mad Uncle "

My U - Tube Channel is : http://www.youtube.com/user/EMGColonel

Corruption in the CLPGS :
The Seven Social Sins are:
Wealth without work. Pleasure without conscience. Knowledge without character .Commerce without morality. Science without humanity. Worship without sacrifice. Politics without principle.

Money. Greed. Naivety. Falsehoods. Exploitation. Welcome to the wonderful world of gramophones!

"He has as much comedic talent as the Straight man on a Linguaphone record "
Si vis pacem, para bellum Der Morgige Tag Ist Mein

Return to “General Music”