The Kinks at the BBC BBC 4

For discussions of any Books/ Film & TV Programmes related to the subject or not
Gmemg
Site Admin

The Kinks at the BBC BBC 4

Post by Gmemg » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:58 pm

As is well - known i know so litle about Popular and Modern "culture" it could be written on the back of the stamp with room for all the other things i don't know about ! but i do like and can appreciate 1st Class music when i hear it - Bruno Mars' "Billionaire" is a case in point, as well as The Velvet Underground, Joni Mitchell, Melanie...............

I was delighted to see advertised "The Kinks at the BBC" on BBC 4 - as i've said i know little about "modern" Music but, probably 15 years ago a Friend played "Waterloo Sunset" and i thought it OK but not great and it made little impression on me - then later i heard Kirsty Mc Call's Version of "days" and was most impressed - i hadn't heard of her and was astonished to find out it was just a version of a song which had been written in the 60's !

I thought that the 1960's were the Beatles Era & other "bands" i didn't like the sound of (at the time) so the thought that these "kinks fellows" were from the same time was astonishing as they seemed so different, i was even more astonished to hear as a choice on Desert Island Discs "The Village Green Preservation Society" i thought it not only amusing but very different - then one day in Aylesbury i went into "Record House" and there was a 3 CD set of "the Kinks" as usual all sorts of variants designed to appeal to some sort of Anorak - Stereo, Mono, and other versions of the same songs !, but as there was no alternative i bought it and was delighted with what i heard

I know nothing about the Kinks or who they are or anything other than the songs but when i saw that BBC 4 was to show the Kinks from the 1960's up until to - day i thought it worth watching - and indeed it was

The B/W films are interesting - in fact they show "Sunny Afternoon" recorded in, i think 1966 and it's Hilarious - the lead singer (I don't know his name) Makes such odd faces that it's hard to concentrate on the Lyrics - after the line "I've got a big Fat mamma tryin' a break me " he made such an odd face that i fell over laughing - it rather reminded me of some of the odd faces made by "the Leading Dealer" so i was doubly amused !

As i watched the programme i realised that i had, in fact heard of the Kinks before - they made a dismal record called "Come Dancing" in 1983 - i remembered it well as being played at a School Disco and being regarded (by those who knew of "Popular Culture")as the best of the period (which just about sums it up !)

Overall i really enjoyed the programme - it's od Radio 4 Extra had a wonderful programme in tribute to Vivian Stanshall so the quality has really improved recently !

I really like most of the Kinks Music - not all, and certainly not the more modern tosh but when they're good they're Great !

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... t_the_BBC/
Estott : "An Ancient Half - Mad Uncle "

My U - Tube Channel is : http://www.youtube.com/user/EMGColonel

Corruption in the CLPGS :
The Seven Social Sins are:
Wealth without work. Pleasure without conscience. Knowledge without character .Commerce without morality. Science without humanity. Worship without sacrifice. Politics without principle.

Money. Greed. Naivety. Falsehoods. Exploitation. Welcome to the wonderful world of gramophones!

"He has as much comedic talent as the Straight man on a Linguaphone record "
Si vis pacem, para bellum Der Morgige Tag Ist Mein

Return to “The Book/Film/ TV Club”