Michael Grade on Music Hall - BBC 4

For discussions of any Books/ Film & TV Programmes related to the subject or not
Gmemg
Site Admin

Michael Grade on Music Hall - BBC 4

Post by Gmemg » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:54 pm

I was making myself a late - night cup of tea - No Cocoa here ! (i should Coco already) and saw this programme - i wasn't expecting much as most programmes about music hall seem to be shallow, dull repetitive and rather miss the point.

I was thus pleasantly surprised - Michael Grade may be a Great TV Executive but wouldn't someone like Roy Hudd have been the ideal presenter ? or doesn't his name command the attention of Michael Grade ? Barry Cryer made a few - all too fleeting appearances and was occasionally seen smiling & laughing at weak jokes, what a waste ! but the programme did provide quite a reasonable history of the British Music hall and they did play a very few original records and overall the programme was informative

sadly the usual "old farts" had to appear - jovially singing extremely obscure "music hall" songs round a Piano to "illustrate" rather peripheral points - were the producers contractually obliged to include them / "No piano singing no assistance " ? the worst bits were the dismal "re - creations" where modern performers dressed up tried to re - create the performances - a complete waste of time and effort - NO - ONE can play "Harry Lauder" on stage without descending into parody - they included a few clips from "The Good Old Days" which itself was something of a parody but is the nearest thing to the actual performances we have as some the performers (in the late 1960's) either knew or had performed with original Music Hall artistes so why not use those rather than modern imitators who's grimaces seemed completely alien to the description of Marie Lloyd as being "warm & human"

It was very interesting to hear the description of Frank Matcham's "Hackney Empire" auditorium as being "like a speaker" with the stage as the "Cone" and the seating as the "flare" this was actually demonstrated and every whisper could be heard right at the back of the seating without echo - was there a "science" of Acoustics in the late 19th C ? if so was henry seymour somehow involved ? it seems more than accidental that the architects got it absolutely right

here's the programme - it's 1 1/2 hrs long - why wasn't it o at 7pm instead of 11pm !

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... ael_Grade/
Estott : "An Ancient Half - Mad Uncle "

My U - Tube Channel is : http://www.youtube.com/user/EMGColonel

Corruption in the CLPGS :
The Seven Social Sins are:
Wealth without work. Pleasure without conscience. Knowledge without character .Commerce without morality. Science without humanity. Worship without sacrifice. Politics without principle.

Money. Greed. Naivety. Falsehoods. Exploitation. Welcome to the wonderful world of gramophones!

"He has as much comedic talent as the Straight man on a Linguaphone record "
Si vis pacem, para bellum Der Morgige Tag Ist Mein

Gmemg
Site Admin

Re: Michael Grade on Music Hall - BBC 4

Post by Gmemg » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:55 pm

I've now had time (when fully awake) to watch the whole programme from the beginning (it seems i missed at least half !) and i have to agree with you Michael grade was a good presenter and he was enthusiastic without being patronising - sometimes "novelty" presenters Such as Roy Hudd are wasted as they know a LOT more about the subject than those they interview - i call that "Fred Dibnah " Syndrome - remember fred interviewing people ? he would ask a question HE could have provided a better answer to and the would have to "nod" in a moronic way whilst the interviewee droned on !

Michael Grade did a very good job and actually held my attention from the beginning to the end - the silly "re - creations" were still silly when seen again and the "old Farts" were still rather boring but the Peter Sellers part was excellent and well worth watching the programme for that - i hadn't seen him doing that before as part of an episode of "the Good Old Days" and really enjoyed it -and was surprised at his total conviction in the part.

Overall i liked the programme the second time and wish it were the prelude to a repeat of ALL of the episodes of "The Good Old Days" which had some real stars on it and not just Leonard Sachs but Ken Dodd (comedy & singing) , Roy castle, Les Dawson etc

The Majoc act at 1:16; 00 is astonishing - and i hate majic acts -

for those who don;t remember that programme here's a selection - it is dated and the jokes are VERY OLD but it's great and they certainly don;t make 'em like this anymore :

Les Dawson

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dipgwBEx8FY

and a couple of COMPLETE Episodes with Ken Dodd etc 2 1/2 Hrs worth ! -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6e3eRRrYyIU
Estott : "An Ancient Half - Mad Uncle "

My U - Tube Channel is : http://www.youtube.com/user/EMGColonel

Corruption in the CLPGS :
The Seven Social Sins are:
Wealth without work. Pleasure without conscience. Knowledge without character .Commerce without morality. Science without humanity. Worship without sacrifice. Politics without principle.

Money. Greed. Naivety. Falsehoods. Exploitation. Welcome to the wonderful world of gramophones!

"He has as much comedic talent as the Straight man on a Linguaphone record "
Si vis pacem, para bellum Der Morgige Tag Ist Mein

Return to “The Book/Film/ TV Club”