The Bankers Guide to Art - BBC

For discussions of any Books/ Film & TV Programmes related to the subject or not
Gmemg
Site Admin

The Bankers Guide to Art - BBC

Post by Gmemg » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:53 pm

I watched this documentary this evening as there seemed little on the TV and i have watched Game of Thrones Series 6 about 8 times now ! and w2as highly amused - in fact it was Hilarious !

statements such as :

"If you want to invest in art about £100,000 is more or less the starting point"

really ? well, the more i thought about it the more i thought they had a point - most of the "antiques" or pictures that are priced at less than that rarely seem to improve in value - in fact some are quite the opposite !

They had a series of Rules - No 4 was :

"Never Trust a dealer"

one Dealer said : I"I've sold a painting for £30,000,000 - £40,000,000 as i've done well you can charge 2-4% but really it's whatever you can get away with ......................"

Well, That was the funniest thing i'd heard until i heard the "rules of Art Collecting"

"You are a new collector and want to join this exclusive club , you want to play by the club's rules which are :

"I (the Dealer) Will tell you how much an Object is worth"
"I (the Dealer)will tell you what is authentic and what isn't"
" and you will pay however much i tell you this is worth "

Sounds familiar doesn't it ? (especially to "suicidal" Steve TMF Admin who told me very similar stories of the "leading dealer"

then they really made me laugh - apparently Dealers are :

"in it for themselves"

"Are unscrupulous"

""Out to make as much money as they can"

Well, Blow me - i'd never realised ! it also seems that the Art Market is largely unregulated and dealers can charge what they like - well isn't that capitalism ? those who charge more than Clients will pay go bust - isn't that how it works ?

there followed anecdotes of dealers ACTUALLY MARKING THINGS UP THEY BOUGHT AT AUCTION how astonishing !

another quote was :

"Don't look for the bargain" and that's true as things things are often used by Rich People as Trophies - they have the houses, Yachts, Private planes and Wives so they use art to show off " well, hasn't that always been the case throughout history ?

was this made by playschool for thickoes ?

Here's the documentary

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... ide-to-art
Estott : "An Ancient Half - Mad Uncle "

My U - Tube Channel is : http://www.youtube.com/user/EMGColonel

Corruption in the CLPGS :
The Seven Social Sins are:
Wealth without work. Pleasure without conscience. Knowledge without character .Commerce without morality. Science without humanity. Worship without sacrifice. Politics without principle.

Money. Greed. Naivety. Falsehoods. Exploitation. Welcome to the wonderful world of gramophones!

"He has as much comedic talent as the Straight man on a Linguaphone record "
Si vis pacem, para bellum Der Morgige Tag Ist Mein

Return to “The Book/Film/ TV Club”